Sunday, August 30, 2020

WWII Warbirds Fly By


I was so excited to witness this event yesterday . . . 14 WWII planes flying overhead! I made sure my camera was charged, and I even set my alarm so that I wouldn't forget. 

At 9:45 a.m. Wendell and I headed to Maunalua Bay. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 7.46.49 AM

There were already a bunch of cars parked at the bay. We got a front row space. I anxiously waited. At around 10:15ish Erick texted me and said that two planes passed him in the Kuakini area. A little later Didi texted the same thing.

I scanned the skies.  Wendell pointed and said, "Is that a plane?" I said, "Where?" He said, "Over there."  I looked in the direction of his pointing finger.  I saw a moving dot.
DSCF0870

Yup, that was it.
DSCF0865

DSCF0863

DSCF0859

DSCF0857

DSCF0847

Well, the fresh ocean air was nice, and it was the most excitement I've had in a long time.
DSCF0843

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I thought they would fly more inland.

We were walking around In Liliha and saw them, they were overhead, so we stopped to watch. There were other people walking, but none of them stopped, they didn’t even look up. Hahaha

Izsmom

jalna said...

Izsmom, LOL. I heard that some people had better views of the planes than we did.

Kalin's Mommy said...

One good note..Lucky no one got tickets from police!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Glad you had some fun excitement!

K and S said...

probably would’ve been a big crowd watching if they flew closer...

jalna said...

Mich, true dat!

Aunty, I did enjoy the outing.

Kat, seems like a lot of people didn't even know about the event. Quite a few people pulled in and asked about what was going on.

Anonymous said...

j: lol so glad you took pixs cuz when I read about it on Sat I was on my lanai at that time and did not see or hear anything at all. And we live right in the pathway of the helicopters from K-Bay so they always fly right by (which is very loud and annoying esp. @ 11 pm). So I figure Sun. I am gonna keep a look out. Well I forgot, I scanned Pearl Harbor since I have a clear view of it and . . . nothing. Nada. I thought it would be a fleet of 'em like the Blue angels show so I figure I would see them flying in formation. Yeah, not that. So I missed nothing. LOL -N

jalna said...

N, LOL. My nephew and his family got good view from their house in Halawa. I'm glad that some people got to enjoy, yah!

Leslie's pics said...

it looks like yours was closer than ours! hahahaha