Monday, August 31, 2020

Vietnamese Daikon and Carrot Pickles


I made this yesterday! We have some Costco meatballs so I thought they'd be good in a banh mi sandwich and I think that banh mi is not complete without pickled daikon and carrots in it. The recipe is from Simply Recipes site. 

I only used one big carrot and half a daikon.  I halved the other ingredients. And I'm not skilled enough to julienne anything so I just used a grater.

IMG_5170

 

Ingredients

2 pounds carrots (about 5 medium-sized carrots), peeled

2 pounds daikon (about 2 large daikon), peeled

1 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar

2 teaspoons salt

2 1/2 cups white vinegar

2 cups warm water (warm enough to dissolve sugar)

INSTRUCTIONS

1 Julienne the carrots and the daikon radishes: Cut them first crosswise into 2 1/2 inch long segments. Then cut 1/4-inch thick slices lengthwise. Stack the slices and cut them again into 1/4-inch thick batons.

2 Massage with salt and sugar: Place the carrots and daikon radishes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 4 teaspoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of salt. Use your clean hands to toss the carrots and daikon with the salt and sugar until well coated.

Continue to mix the carrots and daikon with your hands until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. They are ready once you can bend a piece of daikon all the way over without it breaking.

3 Rinse: Transfer the carrots and daikon to a colander, rinse with cool water and drain well.

4 Make vinegar sugar mixture: In a bowl (a 8 cup pyrex measuring cup works great for this) mix together one cup of sugar, the white vinegar and the warm water, until the sugar dissolves.

5 Pour vinegar mixture over carrots and daikon in jars: Prepare clean jars. Pack the daikon and carrots tightly into the jars. Pour over the pickling liquid to cover. Seal. Refrigerate.

The pickles should sit at least overnight before eating; their flavor will improve with time. They should last 4 to 6 weeks in the refrigerator.

15 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Len loves this in his sandwiches, we used to go Bale and buy every week! Only thing your carrot to daikon ratio is off, LOL, I don't like carrots! Another thing to add to my dislike list, haha! When Len makes me a sandwich, he pulls out all the carrots! Mich

jalna said...

Mich, awwww that Len, so sweet. LOL.

Honolulu Aunty said...

I love this stuff! I buy mine from Safeway in Kapahulu and add it to my sandwiches - like cold cut sandwiches. Sometimes I put it on salads. If I make cold noodles then I put it on. So was it good? WAY cheaper than buying!

Annie said...

Looks 'ono!

Chet Colson said...

LOL......Kalin's mom comment that the daikon to carrot ration if off. Hey, carrots was on sale. Yum, I love all sorts of banh mi sandwiches, accompanied with a Vietnamese iced coffee

K and S said...

so ono!

Susan said...

I love this!

Anonymous said...

That looks good. I love pickled vegetables, so ono.

Izsmom

jalna said...

Aunty, came out good, but I shoulda drained it more before putting in my sandwich (picture on blog tomorrow).

Annie, tasted like how s'posed to. LOL.

Chet, uuuuuu, Vietnamese iced coffee!!

Kat, I was surprised at how easy It was to make.

Susan, me too.

Izsmom, it goes well in the sandwich.

Anonymous said...

what surprised me most is that there is no fish sauce in this. Coulda sworn I smell fish sauce when I buy do chua.
I love banh mi. I make the banh mi but usually buy the do chua. Expensive! $7 or so at Times! $6 at open market.
Now I ono for this.
v

jalna said...

V, I didn't know where I could buy it so I looked up the recipe and realized that it was easy enough for me to try make. Landon didn't even wait the requisite overnight soak and he still liked it. Oh, but he did say that his sandwich was missing the cilantro.

Anonymous said...

Ahaha, Are you like your cuz Gary? He claims he no can eat cilantro, says tastes like soap due to a genetic defect. Wonder what else defective yah?
I only learned to eat recently because whenever I told the waithelp I wanted oxtail soup, no cilantro, they forget. When they bring the soup bakc you can tell they only scooped it out and nevah make one fresh soup. After so many times, I started thinking taste good. LOL
BTW, I like more daikon too!
v

jalna said...

V, ahahahaha! Funny how you got to liking it. I actually forgot to buy it . . . didn't even enter my mind . . . shucks. And I agree, next time more daikon. It was easier to grate than the carrots too.

Leslie's pics said...

does it taste like the bale kind??

jalna said...

Les, it did.