Thursday, May 7, 2020

Wendell's Five Spice Pork Belly


Wendell made this the other day.  He got the recipe from Manila Spoon and can be found here

To be honest, I haven't tried it yet, but must be good 'cause the guys ate um up. 

IMG_4347

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Kilo / 2.2 Lbs Pork Belly, sliced
5 Tablespoons, Dark Soy Sauce*
2 teaspoons, Five Spice Powder
1 inch-ginger (roughly thumb-size), peeled then thinly sliced (like matchsticks) or julienned
2 cups water
1 teaspoon Salt or to taste
*Use a wheat-free brand if you wish to have a gluten-free version.
Procedure
Heat the oil in the wok. Add the brown sugar. Cook until the sugar caramelizes and turns light brown. Add the pork slices. Stir the pork in the sauce until they are well coated.
Pour in the soy sauce and water. Stir in the salt and Five-spice powder. Add the ginger slices.  Bring to a boil. Cover and then simmer gently over low heat for about 45 minutes or until the meat is fully tender.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I decided that I will move to your driveway...don't worry, I will sleep in my car but you can still leave food couple times a day...no contact delivery. just leave it on the pavement. hope you don't mind me using your water hose to shower every day.
v

jalna said...

V, so funny!!!

Leslie's pics said...

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

K and S said...

sounds so delicious!....v so silly :)

Chet Colson said...

Wendall or Landon should try make Pork Adobo w/pork belly

Susan said...

Funny V
It’s kinda like Chinese adobo!

Anonymous said...

Ooh....looks super delicious. I can smell the five spices! Must be so good over rice.

Izsmom

jalna said...

Les, LOL.

Kat, I know . . . that V . . . hahahaha.

Chet, ho!

Susan, now that you mention it.

Izsmom, uuuuu, I can just eat sauce over rice!

Anonymous said...

That's the Chinese red-cooked pork. Hong Shao Rou

jalna said...

Anon, ho, I didn't know!

Erick said...

It's like kakuni with 5 spice, I like try make.

jalna said...

Erick, go try!!!