Thursday, May 28, 2020

Garlic Chili Oil


I made this garlic chili oil yesterday. I made it because I was missing a noodle dish that I used to get at Pho Mai restaurant (now closed) which was near my old working place. The noodles were tossed with garlic chili oil, and it was so good.  I was hoping that I could reproduce it. 

I found a recipe on YouTube that looked easy so I decided to give it a try.

DSCF0714

This is a half recipe . . . kinda . . . 

1 tsp. peppercorn
12 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium red onion, minced (this was so painful for my eyes)
10 chili peppers, minced 
1/2 cup oil

Fry peppercorn in oil for about 5 minutes. Remove peppercorn. On low heat add garlic, then onions, then chili pepper. Stand there for about 45 minutes stirring, stirring, stirring until your back gets sore and the chili peppers turn dark red in color.

Here is the YouTube video:




After the oil was done, I stir-fried some shrimp that had been marinating in the following: 

1 tbs. oyster sauce
1 tbs. shoyu
1 tbs. fish sauce
1 tbs. brown sugar
1 tbs. lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, minced

I put the shrimp on pho noodles which I had tossed with the garlic chili oil. It came out very tasty but too spicy for me. I could only eat a little. Luckily, Landon can handle spicy and he ate it all up.

I wonder what would happen if I put half the amount of chili peppers instead . . . hmmmm?
IMG_4543.JPG

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my that looks good. I like spicy but not to where I can’t taste a thing after . 😝

Izsmom

jalna said...

Izsmom, me too.

K and S said...

sounds yummy!

Susan said...

Gonna try this with half the peppers! Looks super yum!

jalna said...

Kat, I wanted to eat more but just couldn't.

Susan, me too . . . but I need more garlic now! LOL.