Saturday, May 16, 2020

Braised Pork Belly


This is what I made . . . "chashu" pork. The plan is to slice and eat it in ramen.  

The recipe is from Just One Cookbook. The pork belly came from Costco.

IMG_4392

Roll and tie up the pork. Sear on all sides and add the following (I made double recipe):


  • 1 lb pork belly block (454 g)
  • 1 Negi/Long Green Onion (Sub: 1 leek or 2-3 green onions)
  • 1 knob ginger
  • ½ Tbsp neutral flavor oil (vegetable, canola, etc)
  • ½ cup sake (120 ml)
  • ½ cup soy sauce (120 ml)
  • 1 cup water (240 ml)
  • ⅓ cup sugar (75 g, 5 Tbsp)

Simmer on low for 2 hours.  Rest the chashu overnight before slicing. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!

Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

Oh my!!! Looks sinfully delicious!

jalna said...

Izsmom, thanks!

Aunty, crossing fingers!

K and S said...

looks great!

Chet Colson said...

Ho,that's better than char siu,the fat on the pork belly makes it ono.

Erick said...

Looks super ono. I feel like eating ramen now.

Anonymous said...

whoa ... $15.99/# @ Nijiya !! Schlurrppp !!

jalna said...

Kat, you should see the bust-up shoyu egg I made . . . so ugly. LOL.

Chet, I still neva try it yet. Hopefully today in some ramen.

Erick, me too!

Anon, I only can buy one small piece when I get from Nijiya.

Leslie's pics said...

wow i didn't realize it would be that easy!

jalna said...

Les, really yah!