Sunday, May 3, 2020

Cy's Cucumber Namasu


My brother Cy made this cucumber namasu for my mom who eats it everyday.  He got the recipe from CD Kitchen here.  

Resized_20200502_141106

ingredients


3 cucumbers
1 tablespoon salt plus
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

directions


Slice the cucumbers lengthwise and scrape out the seeds if desired. Slice the cucumber into very thin slices on the diagonal. 

Place the cucumber slices in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the salt. Let stand for 20 minutes. 

Rinse and drain the cucumber slices well and squeeze out any excess water using a kitchen towel. 

Return the cucumber to the bowl. In another bowl or measuring cup, stir together the remaining salt, sugar, rice wine vinegar, and ginger. Mix well then pour over the cucumbers. Stir gently to combine. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator. Chill until ready to serve.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Namasu. Will try. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Izsmom

jalna said...

Izsmom, welcome!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Looks good - but I don't have rice wine vinegar. Or cucumbers, lol. I am going to try and grow them.

Chet Colson said...

I love pickled vegetables. I use to make pickled onions; even better if its Maui onion, cause of the sweetness. Brother's Namasu looks good. Probably, contributing to your mother's longevity.

K and S said...

yummy

Kay said...

I love namasu too, but what is salt plus?

Susan said...

Similar to Japanese sunomono? Interesting with the ginger!

jalna said...

Aunty, too funny!!

Chet, uuuuu, I like pickled onion!!

Kat, looks like it is yummy.

Kay, It continues onto the next line 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon.

Susan, I think so.