Monday, February 8, 2021

Why So Hard, Bread Dough?

I found this info at the Taste of Home site on reasons why bread dough might not rise.  I'm not sure if I should just quit already.   


1. Your yeast is old.  If your yeast is too old, chances are you aren't going to get a good rise.

2.  The water is too hot.  Anything hotter than 105 degree to 115 degrees F could kill the yeast.

3.  It's too cold inside.  If your kitchen is too cold, the yeast could die.

4.  You added too much salt.  Too much salt can keep the yeast from doing its job.  Never pour yeast and salt on top of another in your mixing bowl.

5.  You added too much sugar.  If you added too much sugar in your dough, chances are that it will gobble up almost all of the food the yeast needs, leaving you with dry, ineffective yeast.

6.  You added too much flour.  Too much flour can make your dough stiff and dry.  If there's not enough liquid present it doesn't work the way it should.

7.  You're using whole grains.  Whole wheat and other alternative flours don't develop gluten as easily or at all.

8.  The crust is too dry.  If a crust develops on top of the dough, it can be difficult for the bread to rise.

14 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Toooo much possible factors for me, LOL!

jalna said...

Mich, totally, yah!!

jenny said...

Oh I had some adventures in bread making these past months, was going to start blogging again, maybe I will post my bread making too! If I could make a successful loaf, I know anyone can! Thanks for these great tips!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! If I was ambitious and read this beforehand, I wouldn’t even attempt. 😂

Izsmom

Susan said...

I found that when I put my dough in my laundry room, the warmest room in my house, where the sun hits directly with the window open, my dough always rises. : )

K and S said...

good to know

jalna said...

Jenny!! I like see!!

Izsmom, LOL. I might try one more time. I still have a packet of yeast left.

Susan, that sounds so perfect.

jalna said...

Kat, it is yah.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Still comes out good, right?

Anonymous said...

I think you made the bread on the coldest days we had so the yeast didn't like it, ya think?
v

jalna said...

Aunty, surprisingly that cheese bread came out good. I kinda wanna try again.

V, that's what I'm blaming it on.

Leslie's pics said...

holy crap jalna, I shit you not, I tried making 8, yes EIGHT loaves of sourdough so far. I ended up dumping 3 doughs because it just didn't rise. None of my doughs actually rose like all the videos and books said. The first couple were crap. Ate a few slices and threw them out. The last three were better but still not like what you find in the store. My first decent loaf I gave it a C-. Then B-, and my last one I gave a B. I'm stopping for now, I left my starter in the fridge for when i'm brave enough to start again. I'm so incredibly frustrated!

Erick said...

No wonder my bread never comes out. I probably doing all of those wrong things. Ha ha

jalna said...

Les, why so hard yah?!

Erick, LOL, me too.