Saturday, February 27, 2021

Unclogging an Inkjet Cartridge

We have a 6-year-old laser printer that works pretty good still, but it only prints in black.  Wendell wanted something that also printed in color so about a year ago he picked up an inkjet printer from Walmart, an HP Deskjet 3752, "the world's smallest printer/copier/scanner".

A few months ago it stopped printing in black.  I figured that the cartridge was clogged because we hardly use it.  After unsuccessfully trying all the recommended methods for cleaning the printhead on the cartridge I gave up.  The good ole laser printer still worked after all.

But every few weeks or so, I would try again to fix that bloody thing.  And I would give up.

A few days ago, I came across a YouTube video that recommended something different.  There was a good chance that I would mess up the cartridge, but I figured WTH, right?  It wasn't working anyway.

Following the instructions on the video here's what I did.   I peeled back the label on top of the cartridge to reveal this puka.

IMG_7124

Using the nozzle on a can of dust remover I blasted air into the puka several times.  Thick, sludgy ink squeezed out of the print head.  Sorry, I didn't take photos.  My fingers were all black from the ink.
IMG_7131

After wiping up the sludge, I soaked the print head in a little bit of warm water for about an hour or two (I forgot about it).  The water actually got all black.  This is a re-creation for you.
IMG_7128

It worked!!  I printed this yesterday.  Even though I don't like to waste the expensive ink, I'd hate for it to clog again from non-use.
IMG_7130

Side note about the laser printer:  It's a Canon printer that's not made anymore.  I bought it on Amazon and paid $69 for it back then, which is about what the HP Inkjet printer cost.  The laser cartridge is expensive ($76), but I've only needed to replace it twice in the six years we've had it (second cartridge still in use).  And so far, it hasn't clogged. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a Mrs. Fixit!

Izsmom

Kay said...

We have an HP laser printer and I'm holding my breath that it keeps going cause it's pretty old. Darn cartridges are so expensive. Gave up on color printers, sorry to say.

Kay said...

Congratulations of your fix, by the way. That is absolutely awesome!

Honolulu Aunty said...

$69 for a laser printer? There are so many craft projects that call for a laser printer and they are usually EXpensive! Congrats on your success and deal finds!

Also, where did you find the Times ad? I want the mushrooms and flour is 4 for $5??? So cheap!

Susan said...

Good ole YouTube and good ole persistence : )

jalna said...

Izsmom, LOL!

Kay, thank you.

Aunty, even 6 years ago I thought it was a good deal so I got it. Didi told me about the "weekend special". She said she joined Times' email list so now she gets the ads on Tuesdays and the weekend specials on Thursdays. I found the weekend coupon online 'cause me too I wanted the flour and mushrooms. I got cream cheese too because it was so cheap. What was weird to me is that at the market they don't even post the weekend bargain price. You just gotta know. Here's the link: https://www.timessupermarkets.com/coupon-ad/hot-coupons-landing

K and S said...

so neat that you unclogged it!

Honolulu Aunty said...

So, I went to the Times page and signed up for their weekly newsletter and noticed an "Instacart" and signed up. However, they had a promo deal that will give me $10 and anyone 5 people that I refer $10 if they sign up and use instacart, minimum $35 purchase. Did you try that?
My son-in-law said that sometimes the prices are higher and I didn't see the cheap flour and mushrooms. Curious and curiouser.
Thanks for letting me know about the Times ads!

BB said...

J, I have the same dang it prob. I've gone thru 4 printers in the same amount of time. The prob is I don't print as much cuz the #$!*$ ink is so expensive. My friend noted that color jet printers are so cheap - - under $30 becuz the replacement ink is $$$. Over $20++. So they sell you the printer cheap cuz they make it back in ink. I use to go months without printing and I always had it clogged up. Seriously, it turned into "disposable" printers. As for the coupons, Kunia Times just automatically scans it in for me. And YES they aren't advertised in the store. I subscribed to their emails. I thought how cheap da flour but the smallest bag lasts me 2 years. Not a baker as you can tell. But I still get excited when I see cheap prices! -N

Chet Colson said...

I been pretty fortunate with my printer, no major problems. Thank god, I don't do a lot of printing. Ink cartridges are expensive, so I use after market cartridges. My go to guy, is Mr Inkplus on School St. His after market cartridges does the job.

jalna said...

Kat, shocked me after weeks and weeks (maybe even months and months) of trying!

Aunty, no, I didn't sign up yet. I'll go check it out.

N, I bought 3 bags of flour! And me too, I get excited to see good deals. Wendell uses the printer more than me. He prints a lot of recipes.

Chet, you so lucky. Good to know about Mr. Inkplus!