Friday, November 21, 2008

Mei Sum Chinese Dim Sum

Susie and I had lunch today at Mei Sum Chinese Dim Sum at the corner of Smith and Pauahi. Only had the two of us, and we (okay mostly me) ordered so much stuff. Everything was sooooo ono, we ate almost everything, and it was only 20 bucks!!
Little char siu manapuas, the bread was so light and airy with just a hint of sweetness brushed on the top.
Susie is allergic to shrimp so we didn't order anything seafoody, but she could eat this fishcake. And good thing 'cause was soooooo good.
This was really ono too. It's fried eggplant. The crumbly stuff on the top is fried garlic!!
Sorry, but I don't remember what you call this. It's kinda like aburage with vegetable stuffing, very moist.
This is like a shrimp shu mai, but had pork inside instead.
Look fun with char siu
And for dessert we had the coconut gin dui.
We were soooo stuffed, but as we were walking around Chinatown I came across this curious-looking thing in Maunakea Marketplace. It's about the size of a tennis ball, and the lady said it's a Thai dish and it's made with rice and coconut. I bought one to take home. After dinner I tried a bite . . . it was soooo tasteless. She did say, however, that you could break the ball up and fry it up with . . .
this other weird looking thing. It's pickled pork made with LOTS of garlic, and normally you're supposed to eat it RAW. It was just left out in the open and not even refrigerated. I was so intrigued that I bought one thinking that Wendell might be interested. As soon as I got home I showed it to Wendell and explained that it was pickled pork and that you're supposed to eat it RAW. I said that the lady told me what it's called, but I couldn't remember. He said, "Sudden Death?" Cracked me up.

1 comment:

Betty Townsend said...

Hi Jalna, I am going to have to make a list of these restaurants you go to for lunch so when we make a trip home, we can try them. This dim sum looks so ono!! There are a few Chinese restaurants in the southern part of Sacramento that serve dim sum on the weekends. We've never tried any of them, they are always so busy. We've only been to San Francisco Chinatown ones.