Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Pokipine II

Remember Pokipine from 5 years ago?  If not, you can go to January 2016 on my sidebar and look for the entries.  We watched him turn from a pokey-looking caterpillar into a butterfly. 

Last week I plucked this leaf off one of the neighbor's plants that's sticking through the fence.  I was curious about the eggs.
DSCF1059 2

I put them in a plastic container with a cover.  Over the next few days, I saw the eggs slowly turn brownish in color.
IMG_7141

Yesterday (around 4 days later) I saw this crawling up the side of the container!  I took the cover off.
DSCF1091 2

It's another Pokipine!  So so so so cute yah!
DSCF1115 2

I took him back to the same plant that I got him from.  I hope he'll be okay.  He's about the same size as the ants on the plant and its super windy.
DSCF1129 2

Pokipine II's brother just hatched a little while ago, but he's still only yawning.  I'll probably release him later on today, but now I find myself worrying for his safety.  Ack.
DSCF1129 3

7 comments:

Kay said...

Will it be a butterfly? Or a moth?

Honolulu Aunty said...

Cute! But I think you need to get out more, lol.

Susan said...

When we lived in Okinawa they had the scariest looking pokipines. I don’t see them here at all, only the big fat green ones that like to feast on one of my pretty plants. I noticed them before they gobbled up all the leaves and moved them to another plant. I have bad eyes and wouldn’t have noticed those eggs.

Anonymous said...

Neat! Looks like the Kamehameha Butterfly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamehameha_butterfly

Izsmom

BB said...

J, lol I am the same. True lovers of nature and all its creatures. I love lizards too and got a few house lizards. Landlord got Orkin to spray monthly and I worried about them. -n

K and S said...

so teeny!

jalna said...

Kay, my guess is butterfly.

Aunty, hahahahaha! Hey, I did go to Ross today. I needed to get a kid's birthday present.

Susan, I saw a big fat green one only one time, and been wanting to see it again.

Izsmom, it sure does!!

N, oh no! Hope they'll be okay.

Kat, it was sooo hard to photograph. I had to take a gazillion shots.