Monday, January 11, 2021

YouTube Tip

Here's a YouTube tip for you thanks to follower Li.  It's an auto-translate feature.   Quite a few foreign YouTube videos do provide English captions, available when you click on the CC icon in the lower right menu bar, but a lot do not. That's when auto-translate comes in handy.

To turn it on you first need to click on the gear icon.  Then click on "Subtitles".


Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 2.50.58 PM

Select "Auto-translate".  I happened to be viewing a Japanese video for this sample so the default was "Japanese".

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 2.53.36 PM

Then click on "English".  And that's it.

The translation might be very rough depending on how fast and clearly the person is speaking, but it can provide you with an idea of what's going on.  I love this feature.  Thank you Li!!

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 2.53.51 PM

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oohhh...I didn’t know that. Learn something new and useful! Thanks Li and Jalna!

Izsmom

jalna said...

Izsmom, I didn't know about it either, and I watch a lot of YouTube!

K and S said...

good to know! thanks for sharing

Honolulu Aunty said...

Good tip, mahalo!

Susan said...

I would search for vids with English subtitles when I wanted to watch foreign dramas. Good to know!

jalna said...

Kat, welcome!

Aunty, I thought so too!

Susan, I'm on YouTube more than TV lately.