Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Enjoy the Strawberry

I shared this story before.  It was back in 2008.  It's relevant to today's blog post so I'll share it again.

Buddha told a parable in a sutra:

A man traveling across a field encountered a tiger. He fled. The tiger chased after him. Coming to a precipice, he caught hold of the root of a wild vine and swung himself down over the edge. The tiger sniffed at him from above. Trembling, the man looked down to where, far below, another tiger was waiting to eat him. Only the vine sustained him.

Two mice, one white and one black, little by little started to gnaw away the vine. The man saw a luscious strawberry near him. Grasping the vine with one hand, he plucked the strawberry with the other. How sweet it tasted!


These strawberries were $18.99 for 10 pieces at Don Q.  It might seem surprising coming from someone who is usually very thrifty, but I bought them.  I decided that for once I would Enjoy the Strawberry.

IMG_6436

And they were the best strawberries I've ever eaten.

IMG_6429

13 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Wow! Expensive strawberries - almost $2 each! But, worth it, eh?

Susan said...

Glad it was worth it!

Anonymous said...

I figured it would be the best ever. Watched NHK on how Japan grow and care for strawberrys, it's almost like they have a personal relationship with each fruit. So much care and pride. Had grapes in Japan the size of bumbucha marbles, so good.
If we enjoy it, its worth the cost.
Bonny OGG

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Gotta enjoy! I kept seeing them but get passing on them. Next time, I’ll just indulge.

Izsmom

jalna said...

Aunty, I went back again today, but they were out of the variety that I got before (Yumenoka) so I got the Amaou instead. It looks good too!

Susan, me too!

Bonny, uuuuu, I like try the bumbucha grapes now. LOL.

Izsmom, Geri told me that she had bought and it was good, so I was pretty confident that I wouldn't be wasting my money.

Caroline in SF said...

That is a very good and funny parable! Never heard it before; thank you.

Anonymous said...

the amaou is even sweeter! I bought both last night and did a taste test.
don't get the pink one, I read that it is developed for the color so taste and texture is not as sweet as the others. Especially at #24.99
v

Anonymous said...

you know, I wonder if the wrapping is wrong, the sticker on it says yumenoka but I think under that, the cellophane might be amaou.
I also researched that amaou is a coined word the following
amai-sweet
marui -round
okii -big
umai-tasty

Since I bought both varieties, I could compare that the amaou was rounder than the yumenoka
Yumenoka is one of the newer varieties grown for firmness and longer shelf life

v

jalna said...

Caroline, glad you liked it!

V, you got good eyes!!! Thanks for the info!!!! Looking forward to dessert tonight. LOL.

K and S said...

love the strawberries in japan:)

Annie said...

DQ here I come

Anonymous said...

Don Quijote has the strawberries again. I think people must have figured out that the amaou is sweeter than the yumenoka because had way more trays than the amaou, LOL
v

jalna said...

V, LOL!