Monday, June 8, 2020

Painter's Tape Art Experiment


The other day I decided to do more fish again. 

This time I wanted to try using painter's tape to mask out the fish shapes.
IMG_4614

The technique involves painting layers of background and adding more fish with each layer. The pretty colors are Prussian Blue, Phthalo Turquoise and Quinacridone Magenta. 
IMG_4622

It kinda failed because I went too far and added in a Payne's Grey color on my final layer to darken. Plus that, the tape was junk at keeping crisp lines. 
IMG_4623

So I went back with a paintbrush to soften the jagged edges and then I drew in the details with a black pen. It was fun anyway.
IMG_4643

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

absolutely not a fail!
v

jalna said...

Awwww thanks, V!

Kay said...

That is gorgeous! You are so darn talented, Jalna.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks great! Love the colors.

Izsmom

Susan said...

I love this! All the blue hues are beautiful!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Our mailbox was almost falling down and I kept telling myself to straighten it up and make it more secure. So I unscrewed the base and box on Saturday after the mailman delivered our mail. I filled the holes with wood putty and then painted all the surfaces as well as putting gesso on the mailbox to paint a picture. On Sunday I painted on windows and a door all around but wasn't sure what to paint on the "flag" thing that you put up when you have mail to pick up.

Then, this morning I saw your post and thought, Ah Ha! So I used pencil and drew an ulua (for Uncle) and lightly painted the background of blue around it. Then I filled in the fish part with silver, black and white acrylic paint. How did it turn out? Meh. But I finished it in time to screw the base and box back on the pole for the mailman today.

It was a fun project, thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I like your end result a lot! I think your experimentation created a work with more dimension and depth. Good job!

K and S said...

looks cool!

gigi-hawaii said...

Looks nice, Jalna.

jalna said...

Kay, thank you!

Izsmom, I liked the colors too.

Susan, they go well together.

Aunty, that sounds so cool!!!

Anon, thanks!

Kat, thank you!

Hey Gigi. Thanks!