Thursday, June 4, 2020

Cold Ginger Chicken Sauce


My pal Annie gave me some ginger so I decided to try make this today. I was surprised at how easy it was  . . . well . . . except for all the mincing. I followed the recipe on the Foodland website here.  

DSCF0753

I didn't have chicken (LOL) so I ate it on rice. Came out yummy. What a surprise!
DSCF0771


Ingredients

3 1⁄2 pounds
chicken
2 tablespoons
sesame oil
1⁄4 cup
peanut, vegetable, or corn oil
1⁄2 cup
ginger, finely chopped
1⁄2 cup
green onions, finely minced
1 teaspoon
salt

Instructions

  1. Place the chicken in a covered stock pot filled with enough water to cover the chicken.
  2. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes.
  3. Turn off the heat and let the chicken stand in the cooking liquid until just warm (about another 25 minutes).
  4. Rinse the chicken under cold water, pat dry, and rub lightly with sesame oil.
  5. Cut the chicken into pieces and arrange neatly on a platter.
  6. Refrigerate until the chicken is cold.
  7. Heat the peanut/vegetable/corn oil in a small saucepan. Once it is hot, add the ginger and green onions.
  8. Cook for about 30 seconds, then add the salt.
  9. Pour the hot sauce over the cold chicken and serve.

17 comments:

jenny said...

that's the best way to grind the sauce!!!!

K and S said...

easy! looks good

jalna said...

Jenny, I agree!!!

Kat, so easy!

Anonymous said...

How much ginger and green onions did you use to equal 1/2 cup? It's ono eating it with cold tofu too. ~e

Honolulu Aunty said...

I love the ginger sauce on cold ginger chicken - and I never did like the cold chicken, so using just the sauce is brilliant! And ono! Maybe I'll try.

jalna said...

E, I didn't actually measure, but I used two pieces of ginger around 4 inches each and almost a whole bunch of green onions except for around 5 stalks. I was planning on having some tofu with the sauce today!

Aunty, me too . . . especially that gross cold chicken skin.

Annie said...

Good job, Jalna! I'm drooling!! I had a cheeseburger for dinner, thanks to your last post, LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! My favorite sauce. No need the chicken LOL

Izsmom

jalna said...

Annie, LOL, we're having cheeseburger for dinner tonight!

Izsmom, no need da chicken!

Chet Colson said...

Every time I eat Pake food at the restaurant and order cold ginger chicken; I put the ginger sauce on the rice too, so Ono.

jalna said...

Chet, so funny that you call it "Pake food". LOL.

Kay said...

This sounds so wonderful! And without chicken too?

jalna said...

Kay, I've been eating the sauce on rice.

Anonymous said...

Try it on pork hash. It's ono.

mchlshntn said...

I use skinless/boneless chicken.
Also some garlic and cilantro in the sauce.

Anonymous said...

When do you add the sesame oil? Looks one!

jalna said...

Anon, it's to rub on the chicken. So if you're just making the sauce, no need the sesame oil.