Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Okinawan Sweet Potato Tapioca


I'm trying to use up some recently expired coconut milk that we have, so I decided to make sweet potato tapioca. 

I followed my sister Didi's recipe which can be found here on Cooking Hawaiian Style.

DSCF0798

I tweaked it to make a double recipe. My recipe is below.

1 cup small tapioca pearls 
2 lbs. Okinawan sweet potatoes, boiled, peeled and cut into½-inch cubes 
2 (12 oz.) cans coconut milk 
2 cups water 
1 cup sugar

In a mixing bowl; soak tapioca in warm water for 1 hour. 

In a saucepan combine water and sugar. Cook on medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add drained tapioca. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir until mixture thickens and the tapioca becomes translucent. Add sweet potato and coconut milk. Cook for a few more minutes.

Cool and refrigerate. Serve cold.

This the tapioca that I used. I got it from the Asian Grocery store.
IMG_4709

6 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Yum! How many servings did your double recipe make? I'll gladly take the extras, lol.

K and S said...

looks ono!

jalna said...

Aunty, made choke containers. LOL.

Kat, it's refreshing!

Susan said...

Love Okinawan sweet potato but I don’t find it here much.

Erick said...

Kind of easy, I don't make desserts but I may try this one.

jalna said...

Susan, awww, wonder why.

Erick, good luck!