Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Basket of Sunflowers


I had the bright idea to paint a stamped image. But I soon realized that my watercolor paper is too bumpy for stamping. So I had to pencil-sketch and then ink a copy instead. I actually made several. The one below is the best. The rest were kinda ugly.

I painted a light wash of color on first, then painted more darkly over it. That's called layering. 

Some of the adjacent colors bled together because I wasn't patient enough to wait and let the paint dry first. Luckily, I had a paper towel on hand to blot out the bleeding in time for most areas. 

I tried to leave white spots because one tutorial said to do that, but it turned out to be easier said than done. Like shading, I didn't know where is good.

Lastly, I wanted to add in a funky color somewhere (like Mindy Lacefield), so I painted some fuchsia into the basket. I actually had too much water on my brush, and the fuchsia started spreading out more than I had expected. I had to quickly blot that too. Phew! Paper towels are my friend.

IMG_7303

This is the brush I used.  I love it. It's a very thirsty brush which is good for watercolors. 
IMG_7308

It actually looks too big for my small painting, but the tip is pointy enough so that even the small petals of the flower were no problem. I got it from Hawaiian Graphics. Regular price is $22.95. At 40% off it was $13.77.  The sale is still on this week. If you go, maybe you'll get free David Smith sample dots!
IMG_7306

P.S. I went back to Hawaiian Graphics yesterday and got a similar brush but of a smaller size.  I had the same cashier as the last time so I hinted that I just looooooved the David Smith dots that he gave me. Made him smile. And that's all I got . . . one smile.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your sunflowers, you're better than you give yourself credit for! After you mentioned your paint samples I looked around on art supply websites and saw the paint sample sheet for $2.99. I think the salesperson was trying to get you hooked so your would come back for the expensive whole tubes of paint. Those colors were gorgeous, though.

Honolulu Aunty said...

I went to Hawaiian Graphics but didn't have the same salesclerk as you. I even gave them Honolulu Aunty flashlights but that nevah work. Maybe I should have just asked, "you can give me sample cards?" but, I held back. So what I got was one small set for you and 2 sheets of color chart, no dots.

ALMOST makes me want to watercolor. Almost, but I only watch Korean dramas nowadays.

lance said...

WOW!!!! YOU"RE GOOD!!!!! NICE!!!! HOW CREATIVE!!!!

K and S said...

aw bummer he didn't give you more dots

Leslie's pics said...

HAHAHAHAHAH!!! nice try.... :D So smart to paint a stamped image!

Anonymous said...

j: heh heh he had the power and he used it - to deny you! At $10 a tube it's so pricey and if you use so little kinda poohoo, yeah? I saw this on Amazon, $28 but get at least more colors for $30. https://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Smith-285610005-Essentials-Introductory/dp/B00WT5VRF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504046136&sr=8-1&keywords=david+smith+watercolor+paint
I love the stuff you're doing BTW, you creative people are so blessed. -N

Anonymous said...

You are so creative!

Izsmom

jalna said...

$2.99 Anon! I scored!

Thanks Aunty! I think you should try . . . I bet you'd be good.

Aww, Lance . . . . I only know how to copy.

I know, Kat!

Had to try, Les.

Thanks for the heads up, N! I put it in my cart and gonna save for later. That's a good deal!

Thanks, Izsmom.

Susan said...

It's really pretty! I copy too!