Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cranberry Chutney


CQ and I both loooooove the ham and cheese sandwich from Diamond Head Market and Grill. Mostly we loooooove the cranberry chutney that's in the sandwich. The other day I was in Don Quijote when I spied some fresh cranberries. I bought a bag for me and a bag for CQ. We both had never made cranberry chutney before, but I knew she would be as game as me in trying to make some. We didn't really make any plans about coordinating when we'd make it, but because CQ and I are pretty much in-tune with each other we happened to make it on the same weekend. Here's my version.


I got this recipe from cooks.com and followed it exactly except I didn't have raisins and substituted craisins instead.


Slice one large onion thinly. Chop 1 tsp. garlic. Grate 2 tsp. ginger. This is a grater, right? I wasn't sure and had kinda a hard time grating the ginger with it. I just know somebody's gonna tell me, "You fool, that's not a grater!"
Saute the onion in 1 tsp. cooking oil until it's transparent. Add the garlic, ginger, 1/2 c. sugar, 1/2 c. raisins, 1/4 c. white vinegar, 1/2 c. water, 1 tsp. black pepper and a pinch of salt.
Stir in 12 oz. cranberries.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries begin to pop. They actually started popping right away, but I just continued to simmer until it looked like this. Isn't it strange looking? Allow the chutney to mellow overnight, covered in the refrigerator.

I was so disappointed in how my chutney turned out. It's not anything like Diamond Head Market and Grill's. It's veeeery oniony . . . I wonda why? Could it be 'cause got CHOKE onions? I was gonna toss the whole thing, but decided to take most of it to work the next day.

Early the next morning I got a call from CQ. She had made her chutney too, and she wanted to make sandwiches for people to try. So, I dug in my fridge for sandwich stuff along with my chutney before heading to work.
Check out the following post for CQ's chutney and recipe.

6 comments:

Betty Townsend said...

Well, forget what I said in the other post. Maybe if the onions had been diced instead of sliced, it would have been better. It has good color and it does look good.

jalna said...

I think you're right about dicing instead of slicing, so it wouldn't look like shredded mango instead of chutney.

Erick said...

Looks so ONO! I have to add this to my list of Jalna recipes. Nice photos too!

jalna said...

Thanks Erick.

Leslie's pics said...

Man! I gotta tell Yosh's brother to start scheduling me at King again. I'm missing all the experiment samples! And if I make something I don't got anyone to share it with...one person isn't enough :( I wonder if i like chutney. Never had it. You think I'll like chutney??

jalna said...

I'm sure you'd like CQ's chutney. I've had a sandwich for lunch everyday this week, just so I can eat the chutney. I'll save some for you.