Monday, March 7, 2011

Goma Ae No Moto

I lot of you may know that I'm not really a cook . . . Wendell is the cook of the family. So I rely a lot on simple, easy to make stuff. I found this at Marukai. It's a vegetable seasoning. It was on sale for $2.89. The box contained 3 packs.

IMG_2823a

This bunch of watercress was 4 bucks. Is that not expensive? And look how some of the leaves are yellow. Anyway, Wendell didn't seem to have the patience with me when I asked about it, so I just got it. I trimmed off a little from the bottom of the stalk 'cause it seemed like the right thing to do.
IMG_2826a

I boiled a pot of water, and threw the watercress in for about 3 to 4 minutes.
IMG_2828a

It came out perrrrrrfect. I was so pleased!
IMG_2836a

I small-kine couldn't read the instructions, but looks like I was supposed to add some salt to the boiling water.
IMG_2839a


Here's the packet.
IMG_2842a


I just sprinkled it on top of the watercress and mixed it around.
IMG_2843a

It was really good on the first day, but somehow by the next day the flavor just wasn't the same. I had to add shoyu to it. I still got two packets left too. I think I'll add it to the upcoming prize package giveaway. Hahahaha. Going be soon peoples. The brownie mix should be coming within a few days and Didi already dropped off her cookbooks! Hooo hooo!!
IMG_2850a

16 comments:

susie said...

Looks sooo good, and I am into more veggies now. I love watercress too. Will have to win the next give away or buy my own. Im gonna wait!!!

jalna said...

Aaaaahhhaa, pretty soon, Susie!

Erick said...

My mom used to make something like that. I don't think it came in a box tho.

jalna said...

She musta made it from scratch, Erick.

Betty Townsend said...

Now that looks yum! Hard to find good watercress up here. Its usually got a lot of yellow leaves too.

jalna said...

Betty, I only recently found out that watercress is not that readily available there . . . maybe it was from you . . . hahaha.

Susan said...

That does look yummy! What does watercress taste like? spinach? ong choy?

jalna said...

Susan, the taste is similar to spinach and ong choy with a little bit of bitterness to it. It has a bit of a crunch to it too.

KitTKat said...

can I purchase Didi's cook book?

Randism said...

looks good; i'm no cook but i LOVE making and--even more--drinking watercress soup. da way i make um, so easy and kinda gross but if you drink da whole ting like me, your poop is gonna be... uh, green! i no joke you! fo real!

jalna said...

Rand,I loooooove watercress soup too!! But I swear I never did have green poop. Hahahaha!

jalna said...

Kathy, I going enter your name in the prize drawing. If you no win, I'll get back to you.

KitTKat said...

Thx Jalna, u da best no matter wat Les says about U!

jalna said...

Hahahaha, Kathy.

Renee said...

yummy!!! i don't care for watercress, however, will eat it if prepared this way. grandma kihara and aunty mabel prepared this dish from scratch ... i remember them using the suribachi to grind the sesame seeds. :)

jalna said...

Renee, maybe that's why I like it, comfort food.