Thursday, November 26, 2009

Da Kamado-made Turkey

Wendell usually makes our Thanksgiving turkey in the kamado. Just before doing this post I checked online (mostly 'cause I didn't know how to spell "kamado") and I couldn't find any that looked like ours. Ours seems to be made of clay and it must weigh a ton. They sure don't make 'um like this anymore. I asked Wendell how old the kamado is. He said about 40 years old!!

Wendell had problems today. The turkey was doing okay but stopped short of the required 170 degree temperature. So Wendell had to add more coals which delayed the pau time a little bit.
It was just as ono as usual though . . . very moist and smoky flavored. Wendell brined the turkey for a day and then left it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Just before putting it into the kamado he rubbed it with olive oil and some salt.

16 comments:

Randism said...

mmmmm! looks really ono!

hey, tell us about the new logo at the top of your blog!

K and S said...

ooh that looks so good!

Erick said...

That looks so delicious! I know my uncle had one a long time ago, maybe 35 years. It made great turkey.

Betty Townsend said...

Wow, another way of doing a turkey. It sure looks fantastic!! Trust you and your family had a great day!

jalna said...

Rand, the artwork for my new banner was done by my nephew Jason. It says Photos by Jalna. I love the detail.

Kat, Wendell sometimes puts wood chips but he didn't this time. It was still good.

Erick, does your uncle still have it? When I was looking it up online I noticed that it's soooo expensive.

Betty, we had waaaay too much food. So much so that we planned the menu for Christmas already and eliminated all the extra "no need" stuff.

Unknown said...

WOW! That is a neat cooking contraption! It does look really heavy tho. Man, You could try cooking a christmas ham hock or prime rib in that thing. It probably would come out good too! (hint, hint) I need to get me one of thoes..!

jalna said...

CQ, try check online . . . it's sooo expensive. Wendell said he thinks they paid about 40 bucks for ours back in the day.

Erick said...

My uncle is in a nursing home. He sold his house and probably the kamado went. Too bad! I know when he bought it he said it was expensive.

jalna said...

The guys who bought the house scored.

Les said...

oooh that looks yummy! Never heard of that...maybe I'm too young (hahahaaa!) :)

jalna said...

Hahaha, maybe you're too young . . . why I oughta . . .

mmiissee said...

Wow! I've never seen it done that way...that's pretty cool. I'm sure it was yummy = )

Hiromi said...

Wow! looks great! I've never seen "kamado" like this shape. I guess it's portable version.

jalna said...

mmiissee, neat yeah!

Hiromi, actually Wendell built the wheel thing that the kamado is resting on.

CT said...

Jalna
slow day at the office, I decided to google Kamado turkey hawaii and I found one of your old post, I bought a kamado this year and plan to kamado my 1st turkey, I havent decided how I going make it yet. if come out junk, I get two more foodland specials $8 turkeys in my freezer to practice on.
Curtis (shigezawa's office)

jalna said...

CT, ever since Wendell made our turkey in the kamado, that's the only way we have it on Thanksgiving. Good luck with yours!!