Saturday, August 3, 2024

My Squash with Pork

Cleta gave us some hyotan squash which her husband grew.  I looked at several recipes online and came up with a filipino-ish dish.  The addition of egg is unconventional, but my mom used to add egg to her squash dishes and that was my favorite part.

IMG_8244 

I used this meat from Palama Market.  IMG_8243

Brown in oil:
1/2 onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced

Add:
1 finger ginger smashed with back of knife
1 tomato, sliced
2 tablespoons patis
2 cups chicken broth

Add:
1 medium squash, sliced

Cover and simmer until squash is almost cooked, then pour in 3 or 4 beaten eggs.  Add salt and pepper to taste.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love hyotan! Your dish looks delicious.


Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

Oooooh! Squash and pork - cannot go wrong. And Filipino style? Yummmm!!!

K and S said...

looks and sounds delicious!

Susan said...

Mmm, I love this and I’ll try the egg next time !

Anonymous said...

Egg addition, sound yummy.
No, bagong inside? Lol...

jalna said...

Izsmom, I love this squash. It kinda melts in your mouth. So ono.

Aunty, ❤️

Kat, especially the egg!

Susan, I think you'll like it.

Anon, no, no bagoong! LOL.