Friday, August 23, 2024

My Best Pickled Onions

This was actually my first time making pickled onions, but came out good so I think it qualifies as my best.

I followed a recipe from the Keeping it Relle site.  I added Thai chili peppers and made just half recipe 'cause I wasn't sure how it would turn out. 

IMG_8584 2

  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ½ cup water
  • 2 ½ tablespoons Hawaiian salt
  • 2 pounds sweet onions

  1. Place sugar, vinegar, water, and Hawaiian salt into a saucepan set over high heat. Bring to a boil and heat through until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Set this aside to cool slightly.
  2. Thinly slice onions and place into a jar or container.
  3. Pour the pickling liquid over the onions until completely submerged. Allow to cool at room temperature.
  4. Place the lid on and store in the refrigerator. 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

super easy!
v

Honolulu Aunty said...

Da best! So no need to try any other recipes, right? I wonder how it would be with green mango, green papaya, or daikon.

Anonymous said...

Yum! My favorite.


Izsmom

K and S said...

looks ono! (and easy)

Anonymous said...

Jalna, chili pepper or cubed red bell pepper in there?
Bonny ogg

Anonymous said...

Is the Thai chili hot, milder than Hawaiian chili?
Bonny ogg

jalna said...

My style!

jalna said...

Uuuuu, I wonder . . .

jalna said...

I wonder if the type of onions made a difference. I used Walla Walla onions from Sam's. Wendell bought a bag of six that were huge. Like twice the size of regular onions.

jalna said...

I was kinda surprised and wished I had made more.

jalna said...

Chili pepper.

jalna said...

The ones I have are milder than Hawaiian. That's actually why I used it. I no can handle too hot.

Susan said...

I’ve been meaning to try this. I think I’ll try using red onions.

jalna said...

Good luck!!