Thursday, October 14, 2021

Skin Tags

Do you have skin tags?  I do.

The other day while taking a shower I noticed that some of them were kinda gone or at least diminished in size.  I wondered if it had something to do with my recent change in diet.

I found the following info at the Medical News Today website.  I thought it was interesting.  It suggests that skin tags, although harmless in itself, may be an indication of underlying health issues. 

Skin tags appear to be more common in:

  • people who are overweight and obese
  • those with diabetes
  • women during pregnancy, possibly due to hormonal changes and high levels of growth factors
  • those with some types of human papilloma virus (HPV)
  • people with a sex-steroid imbalance, especially if there are changes in levels of estrogen and progesterone 
  • those whose close family members also have skin tags

Studies have found that skin tags are more likely to occur with:

  • obesity
  • dyslipidemia, for example, high cholesterol levels
  • hypertension, or high blood pressure

They have also been linked to insulin resistance and elevated high-sensitive C-reactive protein, a marker of inflammation.

This suggests that skin tags may offer an external sign of an increased risk of insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting. I was noticing some coming up recently and I did gain about 10 lbs in the past year. Also like you had mentioned, even if I do lose 20 lbs, it still puts me in the overweight spectrum. Waaaaaaahhhhh :(
v

Anonymous said...

Interesting, never knew that about skin tags.

Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

I don't have skin tags but I do have bumps and dark spots on legs and arms. Ugly suckers but then - I am old. Your diet is probably helping a lot and it shows up in little ways like your skin tags going away. I gave up on trying to get rid of dark spots on my face but what has really helped are those mandatory masks that shield my cheeks from the sun. Yah! One minor victory in these crazy times.

K and S said...

interesting!

Anonymous said...

J, I have been cursed with them, my docs have told me it's genetic
I have had various ones removed twice. The first the longest, about 1/2 hour of burning, freezing and snipping. My shitt was bloody at the end. The 2nd after I got more and that was via electricity and that hurt like hell. Nurse said she used the lowest voltage and it felt like hours. So bad I never went back for a followup.I also had a tag on my eye lid that got snipped off.It was only my neck and shoulders so I have none now except on my tummy and side chest.My necklace would get hooked on them too, ouch. I hate their look, esp. when they are black ones. I really prefer the freeze/snip method cuz it's tolerable and fast.I was wondering if those wart removers that freeze would work on them. -N

Dd said...

ummm....i had to google "skin tags" D U H

jalna said...

V, so easy to gain and so hard to lose, yah.

Izsmom, me too!

Aunty, I like that the mask hides my mustache. 😄

Kat, I thought so too.

N, ooooh no, sounds like torture. Wendell used to have a big black one on his neck until a dermatologist removed it. A kid once told him, "Coach, you got a bug on your neck."

Dd, funny!