Saturday, October 2, 2021

Monk Fruit Sweetener

I got this sweetener at Ross. I think it was $6.99.  I actually had it for awhile before I finally used it.  I'm really not good at trying new things, but I decided to use it instead of sugar when I made some Broccoli Salad.  I used about 1/8 cup, maybe even less than that.  

I was so surprised.  I couldn't tell the difference in sweetness.  Tasted the same to me.

IMG_9194

IMG_9196

I wondered if it was good for my health or not.  I ended up watching this almost 1/2-hour long video by Dr. Sten Ekberg.  He started with the bad sweeteners, then the not-so-bad sweeteners and finally ended with the good sweeteners.  Mostly I didn't understand his explanations.  They were a bit too technical for me.  I should have just skipped to the end. 

And in the end his three favorite "good" sweeteners were monk fruit, stevia and chicory root.  Even the sweetener with the chemical sounding name "erythritol" is on his okay list.  

I'll probably be using the monk fruit more now, but for the bananas on my overnight oats I'm sticking to a drizzle of honey.  😄
 

8 comments:

Dd said...

ooooo.....goood info....but stevia...really....i no like taste ;-{

Susan said...

Good to know, I’ll look out for that.

Anonymous said...

J, I tried Stevia and it has an after taste I don't care for. A neighbor grew it and let me taste the grass and it was good but unfortunately it also had a real grassy taste.I also don't like sweet and low, or what I call the pink stuff. I use an Equal equivalent and I like it though it must be on the naughty list. -N

K and S said...

I think this is a natural sweetener and better than the artificial types.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Maybe I should get that one the next time I see it at Ross. I use the chickory root one called Inulin. It is what Dr. Stephen Gundry (Plant Paradox book) recommends that is very good for gut health. It makes you fart a lot at first. On Thanksgiving day, my brother wanted a cup of coffee and he likes to put a lot of sugar in it. So I gave him inulin instead and it wasn't sweet so he kept putting more and more of it in his coffee. I keep wondering if he had a major attack of farts the next day.

jalna said...

Dd, I'll go look for a bag for you next time I go Ross again.

Susan, 👍🏻

N, we used to have packs of those pink stuff too.

Kat, supposedly monks discovered it so must be okay. LOL.

Aunty, funny story!

jenny said...

Thanks for sharing this! So it doesn't have that weird fake sugar taste??

jalna said...

Jenny, I couldn't tell a difference. But then again, I don't have an especially keen palate.