Thursday, October 28, 2021

Dd's Chicago-Style Giardiniera

Didi makes a Giardiniera that my family just loves.  I'm so grateful that she took the time to put together a recipe for me to share.  Thank you, Didi!!

IMG_9189.JPG

She puts it in her Bratwurst and Italian Beef sandwiches.
imagejpeg_0-1

I use it to enhance my salads.  Landon uses it on everything. 
65465923217__424ADCE5-DEA9-402B-978F-BBBE53D9022D.JPG


Dd’s CHICAGO STYLE GIARDINIERA

 

 

Heavily salted water

1 large carrot, peeled, small dice

2 large stalks celery, peeled, small dice

1 small* cauliflower, florets, small dice

½ medium red bell pepper, seeded, small diced

12 oz. pimento stuffed green olives, drained, sliced

¼-1/2 c. pickled jalapeno peppers, drained, sliced, as desired


**Vinaigrette:

¾ c. olive oil

½ c. red wine vinegar

¼ c. apple cider vinegar

½ tsp. dried basil

½ tsp. dried oregano

½ tsp. Italian seasoning

 

*There is no such thing as a small cauliflower…find the smallest one that you can.


In a large heatproof bowl combine carrot, celery, cauliflower and bell peppers. Set aside. 


In a medium saucepan over medium high heat bring salted water to a simmer until salt dissolves. Pour over vegetables to cover. Allow to sit 15 minutes. 


Drain; do not rinse. Stir in olives and jalapeno peppers. Add additional jalapeno peppers according to heat desired. Spoon vegetable mixture tightly into containers/jars. Set aside. 


In a pouring measuring cup whisk together vinaigrette ingredients well. Slowly pour over vegetables allowing vinaigrette to settle. Fill as desired. Allow to marinate overnight. Giardiniera will only get better with time.  


Makes not enough.  (😂 true dat - jalna)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm seriously salivating!
v

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks delicious, making my mouth water! LOL


Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

Oh, dat looks GOOD! Maybe I'll try, but then there are a lot of ingredients and steps. But then it looks good enough to work hard for it.

K and S said...

yummy!

jalna said...

V, me too!

Izsmom, LOL.

Aunty, go try!

Kat, it totally is.

Susan said...

Wow the dishes look so delicious! I wish I could taste!

jalna said...

Susan, I wondered why I never heard of it before!