Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Pickled Ginger (Gari)


First time making this! I followed the recipe from Just One Cookbook. It was easy (even for me).  You're supposed to use young ginger . . . da kine with the pink tips, but I'd probably never get to making this if I waited until I found young ginger, so I used regular ginger.

The taste was gooooood.  I woulda liked a more supple texture, but I'm sure young ginger would've made the difference there.  I'll keep looking. 
IMG_5495

I used this much ginger and a mandoline slicer to slice. I was surprised at how easy it was to scrape off the skin with a spoon.  
IMG_5481

This is how much it made.
IMG_5492

 

INGREDIENTS

  • 3.5-5 oz young ginger (100-150 g)
  • ½ tsp kosher/sea salt

SWEET VINEGAR (AMAZU)

  • 100 ml rice vinegar (½ cup minus 1 Tbsp)
  • 4 Tbsp sugar (45 g)
  • ½ tsp kosher/sea salt 

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Gather all the ingredients.

  2. Using a spoon, scrape off brown spots. Then thinly slice with a peeler.
  3. Sprinkle ½ tsp. Kosher salt and set aside for 5 minutes. Then add the ginger into a boiling water and cook for 1-3 minutes. If you want to keep it spicy, take it out around 1 minute. Otherwise, 2-3 minutes is good.
  4. Drain the ginger slices over a sieve and then spread them out in a single layer. With your clean hands, squeeze the water out and put them in a sterilized jar or Mason jar.
  5. In a small pot, add 100 ml (½ cup minus 1 Tbsp) rice vinegar, 4 Tbsp sugar, and ½ tsp Kosher salt. Bring it to a boil till strong vinegar smell has evaporated, roughly 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Pour the vinegar mixture into the jar with sliced ginger. Close the lid, let cool and refrigerate.
  6. Several hours later (minimum 3-4 hours), the ginger will turn slightly pink. The following day it will be even more pink. The pickled ginger can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 year.

11 comments:

Susan said...

I love this! You’re right about young ginger-never ever saw young ginger sold here!

Anonymous said...

I love gari! Ginger is seasonal so maybe closer to harvesting time (November/December) you’ll see fairly young ginger. You can plant your own.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/CFS-GIN-3A.pdf

Izsmom

Li said...

Ooh! this is right up my alley. Not as a maker but an eater. I used to know all the places w/ good pickled ginger. All gone! Ala Moana Farmers market used to have lots of great pickles in re-used gallon jars. Especially, thick ginger (unsliced) with great flavor. Know of anyone else who makes it like this? Nothing tastes better than chomping down on a thick ginger "branch".
Good for you, making homemade! New career?

K and S said...

love gari

Honolulu Aunty said...

Sometimes I don't have ginger when I need it and sometimes I have too much. Good to learn how to make pickled ginger. Didn't realize it was boiled. Thanks!

Chet Colson said...

Imagine,if you had the pink tipped ginger.Would have been so good, if the regular ginger was ono. I love pickled veggies ie. daikon, onions, etc.

jalna said...

Susan, I once bought what I thought was young ginger at the swap meet, but I think it was galangal. I think we never used it.

Izsmom, plant my own!! What a good idea!

Li, hahahaha, no career. Dunno why I never thought to make my own. Probably thought it would be too hard. I miss the Farmers Market.

Kat, me too!

Aunty, before making the gari, I threw some raw ginger into that daikon/carrot vinegar solution. Came out horrible. LOL.

Chet, I know! Gotta find the pink one!

Annie said...

Gonna try this!

jalna said...

Annie, yay!

Anonymous said...

You can find the young ginger at the Pearlridge Farmer’s Market. Saw them last week and hopefully still have this coming Saturday

jalna said...

Anon, thank you!!