Saturday, September 19, 2020

Tsuru Ton Tan


We got dinner from Tsuru Ton Tan in Waikiki yesterday.  Wendell wanted to try their food mostly because he had read that all of the to-go items were half off (a man after my own heart). 

Parking is at the Royal Hawaiian Center, third level in one of the conveniently designated Park and Go stalls.  The restaurant is on the same level.  No need catch the elevator.  The walkway is to the right of the elevators. Just walk straight across and you're there in less than a minute. You have 20 minutes grace to pick up your food and go.  It was really easy.  Waikiki is dead so no traffic, no people.


IMG_5322

Before you go on to my food photos, try study the menu.  Each set comes with a full serving of udon. The udon comes with your choice of four types of broth . . . kake means plain and hiyashi is cold. You can add toppings and you can upgrade. Okay, now you may proceed.
Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 3.35.05 PM

This is the Sushi Roll Set ($18).
IMG_5336

This is the Nigiri Sushi Set ($20).
IMG_5339

Tonkatsu Bento Set ($12)
IMG_5335

Shrimp Tempura Set Topping ($4)
IMG_5341

Upgrade to Curry Deluxe Udon ($5)
IMG_5344

This plus the next picture is the upgrade to Ontama Toriten Udon ($3) which includes egg and . . . 
IMG_5347

tempura-fried chicken.
IMG_5342

Here are the broths, top is kake, left is cream (with added beef topping $3) and right is curry.
IMG_5350

Everything was good although maybe we shoulda heated up the hot items. 

12 comments:

Kay said...

OK... I just had breakfast and you're making my mouth water.

Dd said...

I L O V E Green Shiso Tempura !!!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to try these! Looks so good and glad you thought it was worth it
That's a lot of food!
V

K and S said...

lots of food! everything looked ono!

Anonymous said...

j: wow so cheap for the amount of food. They must be struggling, yeah? But the food looks so ono but like you say it's a bento so it's at room temp at best. How was the tempura chicken, I was always curious about making something else into a tempura due to my seafood allergy-N

Chet Colson said...

That's good prices, half off in Wackywacky. Parking sounds good too.

jalna said...

Kay, LOL.

Didi, I was surprised at how good it tasted.

V, we pounded (LOL), but still had leftovers for the next day's lunch.

N, I felt sorry when we walked into the empty restaurant (they're doing only take out right now). Wendell surprised me when he gave the guy a hefty tip. I didn't even think about that so am glad that he did. The chicken was good . . . like karaage. I dipped it in my tempura sauce.

Chet, parking was great!!

Susan said...

Everything looks so good! I miss dining in the restaurant. Food taste better fresh! I really feel bad about all these businesses struggling with the lockdowns. More will close and then we’re left with these big franchise businesses. I like how the small business brings variety. We have one store here that sells Japan products, kinda like a Daiso. I sure hope they stay in business!

Honolulu Aunty said...

OOOOOH! Maybe I have to go to Waikiki soon!

jalna said...

Susan, driving through Waikiki felt a bit strange . . . so empty and with a lot of the stores boarded up.

Aunty, for sure try now while it's empty. Helps them out too.

Leslie's pics said...

ok question...in the sushi roll set, what was the stuff on top the sushi next to the potato salad? We ordered it last week and I was too scared to try it. Randy thought maybe had shrimp inside. We kinda had to switch sushi platters cause the one I ordered had all shrimp stuffs. The mentaiko udon for an extra $4 was yummmy! I know you probably don't eat that kind stuff but maybe Landon or Wendell would like it

jalna said...

Les, I think I even tried that one you're asking about, and I liked it. But I dunno exactly what it was or if had shrimp in it. Thanks for the tip about the mentaiko udon. I'll let the guys know. Glad you got to try them out!!