Thursday, September 17, 2020

Dd's Mapo Tofu


When Didi shared this photo with us I remarked on how it was so innovative of her to serve the dish on noodles. She was puzzled and asked, "Why? How do you eat it?" 

I always thought it was a given that you eat Mapo Tofu with rice. No?

mapo

 

Mapo Tofu

½ (20 oz.) block tofu, 1-inch cubes, drain well

2 TB vegetable oil

½ lb. ground pork, chicken or turkey

2 tsp. ginger, minced

2 tsp. garlic, minced

3 stalks green onion, white and green parts separated, chopped


Sauce:


1 ½ TB doubanjiang (Korean bean paste)

1 c. chicken broth

½ c. water

2 TB mirin

1 TB chilie garlic paste

1 TB red miso

1 TB oyster sauce

1 TB soy sauce

1 tsp siracha

½ TB black beans, soaked, drained, mashed

2 tsp. cornstarch

1 tsp. sesame seed oil

3 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 3 tsp. water

In a mixing bowl; combine sauce ingredients. Set aside. In a large skillet or wok over medium high heat; brown pork in oil. 

Add ginger, garlic and white parts of green onion. Add sauce ingredients and tofu; stirring well until slightly thickened. Serve over pan fried noodles or as a ramen topping. Top with green onion. Serves 4 appetizers or 2 entrees.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks soooo soooo yummy! I had an "authentic" mabo tofu recipe but misplaced it. I going try this one (even though I rather eat DD's). Thanks for posting
v

Chet Colson said...

I'm pake. Traditionally, served with rice. She could say its Hawaiian Asian Regional cooking, lol. Her Mapo tofu look better than Duk Kee in Kaimuki.

K and S said...

lots of chinese restaurants here serve it on noodles but call it mabo men (noodles)

Anonymous said...

j: another OMG moment, yes it makes sense on noodles but I never hard it that way...and I use the Ajinomoto instant packet instead! Man, DD CAN COOK! -N

Honolulu Aunty said...

I eat it on hot rice but it looks really good on noodles! Also, I use the package mix - so cheat.

Erick said...

I usually have it on ramen. I don't think I ever had it on rice, sounds good though.

Susan said...

I was surprised to see the noodles too. I want to try to make this. Looks so good!

jalna said...

V, welcome! The ingredients look good, yah.

Chet, LOL.

Kat, ahhhhhh.

N, I know!!! Looks so good on the noodles!!

Aunty, I cheat too.

Erick, I like eat ramen now.

Susan, I was surprised too, but looks so good!