Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Cleta's Mr. Wada's Mochiko Chicken


The recipe for this was in the Crave section of the Honolulu Star Advertiser earlier this month.

Girlfriend Cleta made it for their dinner one day and sent me an in-progress photo.
imagejpeg_0-2

While searching for the recipe online I found this YouTube video!



MR. WADA’S MOCHIKO CHICKEN
3 to 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into long strips
Panko crumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs), as needed
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Marinade: 
1/2 cup shoyu (Aloha brand preferred)
1/2 cup beaten eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup mochiko flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
Whisk marinade ingredients together until smooth. Add chicken and soak overnight.
Remove chicken from marinade and bread in panko.
Heat enough oil in a pot to cover chicken pieces, to 325 to 350 degrees.
Fry chicken in batches, 4 or 5 minutes per batch, to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove charred panko crumbs from bottom of pot between batches. Serves 4 to 6.

5 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

How was it? Looks good, but also a lot of work.

R said...

This looks good! But I have a stack of your recipes I'll probably try first. So, I 'll need to look for ingredients. What brand chili pepper in oil & sweet soy sauce do you use.? I'm not really picky but am going for 100% satisfaction here. Can't cook "by taste" so I follow recipes. Still hung up on making pork with sweet sour cabbage and ginger chicken I like. (Lucky for me Jade Garden Restaurant in Waipio has my favorite pork with s/s cabbage.)
Back to the point, I am steeling myself to make a big shopping from Marukai for the ingredients. Hopefully I'll be in & out quickly.
Thanks for your help. Staying at home brings out funny qualities!!! : ) Be safe & if you want me to shop at Marukai for you--just ask!

K and S said...

love mochiko chicken:)

Susan said...

I always wondered what Mochiko chicken was.

jalna said...

Aunty, I'm betting it was ono 'cause everything Cleta makes is good.

Hey R, you're just like me . . . gotta follow recipe. I don't really have a favorite brand of chili pepper/oil or sweet soy sauce. I just looked in the 'fridge and we have a jar of Por Kwan brand chili with fried garlic. I got it at the Asian Market, but it's way too spicy for me, so I just use a tiny drop. Good luck with the shopping/cooking!

Kat, Cleta's one looks good.

Susan, 😊