Saturday, April 15, 2017

Sake Kasu


I saw this at Marukai yesterday. I knew that it was sake lees (a byproduct of sake production) and is used to make tsukemono. I stood in front of it for awhile remembering a few Japanese programs that I'd watched before where they show how some households have a kasu-filled vat in a corner somewhere, and anytime they needed tsukemono they would go to it and dig out a pickled vegetable. I think that's so cool.

I wanted to try. This bag was $4.29.
IMG_0004

This daikon ($1.49) is actually not as big and obscene-looking as it appears. 
IMG_0002

Lahaina Baby Eggplant ($3.87)
IMG_9996

Keiki Cucumber ($3.99)
IMG_9999

Now, I gotta figure out how to do this. Wish me luck! LOL!

12 comments:

Dd said...

this is kinda like how I make ours for work. I mix it with beer, whole dried chili pepper, ajinomoto (yup..so I cant eat it ;-{ ... after I salt the cucumbers and rub rub rub and let them sit for 30 minutes, rinse off and BURY in the mixture...bam...overnight....tsukemono !!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how it turns out. You are so ambitious!

Izsmom

jalna said...

Aaaaah Dd, I was thinking if I should salt to get rid of the liquid first. K. Thanks!

I wonder too, Izsmom!

Anonymous said...

You can make miso butterfish with sake kasu too

Honolulu Aunty said...

Oooooh. I love tsukemono. I buy the one from Ruger Market - yatsumezuke. Before I used to buy it at Tropics in the Ward markets before Marukai took over, but now he sells it at Ruger.

Hope yours comes out ono - and bust out the rice!

K and S said...

my MIL makes kasujiru(soup) with it

Chet Colson said...

Yes, hope it turns out well. Like dey say, practice make perfect.

jalna said...

That's what I just read, Anon!

Hmmm Aunty, hope I can remember that next time I'm in the Ruger Market area.

Whaaaaa, Kat? Never heard of that!

Crossing fingers, Chet.

Kay said...

I know it will be yuuuummmmy!

Rennee said...

What section of Marukai do they sell the miso?

jalna said...

Rennee, at Dillingham they moved it next to the tsukemono on the right.

Leslie's pics said...

yum!