Monday, April 10, 2017

Cucumber Tsukemono


I picked up this tsukemono-making instant powder thing from Marukai this past week. It looked interesting to me because it says mustard on the packet. It also says "easy". This two-pack was $2.36.

IMG_9943

From what I could figure out, you put cucumbers in a bag and pour in the powder. You moosh it, moosh it, try to get all the air out of the bag and then refrigerate for 24 hours. Then you rinse the cucumber and cut up. Sounds easy yah.
IMG_9947

As you can see I started off wrong from the start. I cut up the cucumbers before I read the directions. Oops.
IMG_9942

It came out potent . . . you know the go-to-the-brains owieeee hurt the sinuses mustard burn? I was gonna soak the cucumbers in water to tone it down, but Wendell said no need. It was okay to him. Landon liked it too.

After rinsing off the mustard, it ended up looking like just regular cucumbers. But I wanted to show off the plate so I took this picture.
IMG_9957

15 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

I would have done the same thing too...cuz my tsukemono recipe is all cut up before salting/pickling.

jalna said...

Thank you Mich. Makes me feel less babooze-ish.

mmiissee said...

You can always try again. I'm sure it was fine since Wendell and Landon liked it.

jalna said...

Yah, Mmiissee . . . we'll see how it "sells". If they end up not eating it, I'll probably give away the second pack.

Anonymous said...

Funny because I just bought a bottle of liquid tsukemono soaking whatchamacallits on Friday. I put daikon and carrots. Funny thing is, I cannot read Japanese but I think the bottle says only 30 minutes soaking is needed but you can leave it as long as 20 hours. I was trying to make the make something like what you get at Menchanko Tei (by the way, you should go there for lunch!!)
I left them soaking 24 hours and it was pretty good! I tried a couple of pieces after 30 minutes but it hadn't "cured" enough so I kept it in and then forgot about it.
It was a little sweeter than the Menchanko Tei style but I still liked it.
I think next batch, I'll add a little chili pepper.
v

Chet Colson said...

Good for colds, when sinuses is plugged.....lol. I love tsukemono.

Leslie's pics said...

hahahaha I sooooo woulda done the same thing!

K and S said...

sounds super spicy!

Honolulu Aunty said...

LOL, you wanted to show the plate! btw, nice dish!

jalna said...

Hey V, I got it on Friday too. We must be on the same wave length or something.

Chet, I love tsukemono too. I feel like something's missing when I don't have any.

LOL, Les.

Kat, I let Mich try some, and she said it was good. Maybe it's just me that thought it was supah hot.

Thanks Aunty. Tee hee.

Anonymous said...

j: found this on a FB cooking site I subscribe to. Sounds EZ and yes it's cut up. Noticed someone mentioned Menchanko and OMG I hate their pickles. I eat there 2x a month and I always get the tonkatsu/Hakata ramen combo. I tell them always to hold the pickles and the red ginger. They make it super salty and sour, not sweet. Must be the owner's taste, but yuck no. http://www.justonecookbook.com/pickled-cucumbers/ -N

Mark Shelby said...

How do they make the hot mustard when you go out and get your won ton mien? Isn't there a way to just make your own at home? I just love it until my nose and brain cells hurt! .....LOL! ; )

But I can sure breath much better through my nose later! ; )

jalna said...

N, simple recipe!!! Thanks. She mentions 3 hours max soak. No wonder sometimes mine ends up so salty.

Mark, we used to use a powdered mustard that you add water to, but now we use a tube paste that I pick up at Marukai.

Susan said...

I love tsukemono...but not too salty : ) Must be something about guys and salt... my husband loves his salt!

jalna said...

Unfortunately, Susan, I like salty things too.