Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sake Kasu - Part 2


I researched online for the best (easiest) way for me to use the sake kasu and found info here at Umami Mart blog.

It said to first salt the veggies and rest with a weight on overnight.
IMG_0015

I actually started in the morning and by the afternoon they looked ready.
IMG_0024

I rinsed them well and buried them in the sake kasu. I put some chili peppers in there too. According to Umami Mart I leave it for 3 to 5 days. I'm tempted to put it in the 'fridge because I feel like it might spoil left out. But I'll be good and listen.
IMG_0036

BTW,  Happy Easter peoples!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the result! If it works, I'd want to go buy some too. :) - L

Dd said...

Sooooo ...... was that ALL that you bought .... the tag said 5 #s right ??? wowwee.....we sold the "bran" at the shop for $2.69/2#, we had no interest, so we actually ended up giving them away if anyone should ask about it .... and then, we stopped all together. We just now use if for when I make the "kuuri."

Kay said...

Awesome! I'm sure it will be delicious! Mom uses sake kasu for misoyaki butterfish.

Honolulu Aunty said...

Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I'm a germophobe. I always worry about food poisoning and would probably put it in the fridge, especially here in Hawaii, our weather here is so hot and humid most of the time. I put everything in the fridge, cooked rice, pastries, bread, miso, etc. HAHAHA! But I'm quite sure the Kasu must have antibiotic qualities that probably inhibit the growth of bacteria. Can't wait to see how your tsukemono turns out!

Izsmom

K and S said...

I think making pickles in sake kasu will turn out like narazuke

Chet Colson said...

After all that research; blood, sweat and tears, I'm quite sure it was a success. Happy Easter too.

jalna said...

Good fun yah, L!

Dd, I wondered if I should buy 2 bags, but the one bag did fit all of the cucumbers, half of the eggplant and half of the daikon.

That sounds so good, Kay.

Me too, Aunty!

I am too, Izsmom. With me I worry about mold on moist food like banana bread and mochi.

I hope so, Kat.

Thanks Chet!

Susan said...

Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Leslie's pics said...

ooooh the suspense!

jalna said...

Susan and Les, today is the 3rd day. I'm gonna dig out a cucumber after work.