Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tiger Cubs at the Honolulu Zoo

On September 15th, three Sumatran tiger cubs were born at our Honolulu Zoo. I'd been waiting and waiting for them to go on display when all of a sudden I see pictures of them on Erick's blog. I don't know how he got such good photos through the chain link fence. It proved to be veeery challenging. The cubs were so adorable, I can't wait to go back again to get more shots. Susie and Leslie got some awesome shots today.

Update: Sumatran Tiger Cubs at 5 months
Update: Sumatran Tiger Cubs at 6 months
Update: Sumatran Tiger Cubs at 7 months

Here's mom.

6 comments:

Erick said...

Looks good to me, you got some great expressions! To blur out the fence you need to use a 70-200mm or longer 2.8 lens shot wide open and shoot them when they are away from the fence, the farther away the better. You need to keep the fence out of the depth of field.

susie said...

Awsome!!! Was too much fun today, lets do it again!!!

SW said...

WOW!!! Awesome shots!! What equipment did you use? You got a lot of really nice shots thru the fence. Those cubs are really cute and very playful, aren't they?!

jalna said...

Shun-Wah, Thanks! I used a Canon 70-200mm f4. Check out Leslie's and Susie's pictures. Leslie has a new 70-200mm f2.8 and her shots came out so nice. I want that lens now, but it's just so heavy. Susie used her 100-400mm, almost as heavy.

Nippon Nin said...

Jalna, you did a great job capturing those beautiful creatures. I enjoyed it.

jalna said...

Awww . . . thanks Akemi. I really enjoyed watching the cubs. I would spend hours there at their cage.