Sunday, January 18, 2009

Killer Kalbi


I got this recipe from the House of Annie blog. I started off with a pre-marinade using pureed onion and 7-up.
You puree the onion until it's almost liquified.
Pour out the onion and 7-up onto the meat and marinate for 2 to 3 hours to tenderize the beef, and boy does it get tender.After tenderizing you drain the liquid, leaving the onion. Add the kalbi marinade and soak overnight. Because I didn't plan good, I ended up soaking the meat for only 3 hours. Choke sesame seeds, yeah!

Kalbi marinade:
5 Tbsp soy sauce
4 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp honey
4 Tbsp Chinese rice wine
2 tsp Korean toasted sesame oil
2 stalks green onion, minced
4 tsp chopped garlic (1 to 2 cloves)
2 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp ginger root, grated
1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
It came out really, really good though.
Here's Kona watching me from afar. He must know what a dangerous cook I am . . .
'cause this is what happened after my third batch on the grill.
Marshmallows anyone?

16 comments:

Les said...

you made dinner last night?? I'm soooo proud of you!! It's funny that it looks like Kona is bolting out of the yard when your bonfire happened! :)

Betty Townsend said...

Oh, mercy! Did your neighbors call the fire department? hahahaha! What kind of meat did you use and did you make the marinade or buy it premade? Costco here carries Kalbi all prepared, vaccum packed. We put it on the grill or in a pinch I've put it in a fry pan and cooked it. It's ok. Or we go to a Korean restaurant. This looks so ONO!!!!! Kona wasn't sticking around, huh. :)

Betty Townsend said...

Ok, I answered my own questions! Duh!! Should have clicked on the link first. I'm blaming it on a "senior moment". :) Well, I'll have to see if my husband is in the mood to grill some time soon, I certainly want to try these. Thanks for sharing.

Dd said...

lick lick lick....but what's da recipe for da marinade ??

Dd said...

oK OK....DUH....wne to the House of Annie site for the recipe...;o\

jalna said...

Les: I kept telling Wendell about the recipe, so he bought the meat for ME to make. He probably would've done a better job.

jalna said...

Betty: Premade stuff is usually the way I go, but that onion, 7-up thing sounded interesting. I sometimes like to use this bottled Korean sauce called Man Nani (or something like that).

Erick said...

That looks so good and easy too! What cut did you use? Nice fire!

jalna said...

I used boneless short ribs. They were so thick though that I had to half the thickness. It was pretty easy, but I think next time I'll premarinate with the onion and 7-up to tenderize and then I'll just use already bottled Man Nani sauce to soak. That's more suiting to my lazy-man style. I agree, that was a pretty nice blaze.

SW said...

Whoa!..this looks like a dangerous recipe.. good thing you have a big yard! But the result sure looks yummy!!!

Betty Townsend said...

I think I've seen bottled Kalbi sauce by Kikkoman at the grocery store I shop at. I don't really like Kikkoman products though. There are several Asian grocery stores in town. They might have that sauce you mentioned. But you're right, the onions and 7-up does sound interesting.

Ruth said...

That's an interesting way to cook Kalbi. It looks really good. I will definitely have to try it.

Rowena said...

Muahahaha! I followed this link via Hotel Waikiki's site. I'll take a couple of toasty marshmallows.

Kay said...

Ahhhhh.... what happened there?
That sounds like a fabulous recipe. I could impress my son-in-law with it. Yum. My mouth started watering just looking at the photos.

Nippon Nin said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! The recipe is interesting! We don't drink soda at all so no soda in stock...I have to get 7UP but I would like to try it soon.

Your dog is very smart!

jalna said...

I dunno, Kay. . . maybe I shoulda cleaned off the grill better before I started.

Akemi, Kona knows me too well.