Friday, January 20, 2023

Dd's Shogayaki

 I think the crispy ginger topping on this dish would be my favorite part.

shogayaki

SHOGAYAKI (PORK GINGER)


Two 2-inch pieces fresh ginger, peeled (1 piece grated*, 1 piece julienned***), separated

½ medium onion**

½-3/4 # pound Japanese-style shabu shabu/yakiniku pork loin or belly, thinly sliced (I prefer loin)

2 TB sake

¼  teaspoon ground white pepper

1 TB canola oil, additional as needed for sauteing pork

1 tsp. sesame seed oil

2 stalks green onion, white parts only, 1-inch diagonal pieces, chop green parts for garnish


Sauce:

3 TB soy sauce

3 TB mirin

2 TB sake

2 tsp. agave nectar


Garnish: crispy fried ginger, chopped green onion (green parts only)

 


*Grate ginger. Separate grated ginger and any juices. Set aside.

** Grate onion to equal 1 TB juice. Add to ginger juice. Slice remaining onion; set aside.


In a large mixing bowl toss pork with 2 TB sake, white pepper, ginger & onion juice. Allow to sit while preparing crispy ginger.


*** In a small skillet over medium heat brown julienned ginger slices in 1 TB canola and sesame seed oil. Drain on paper towel; reserve for garnish. Reserve oil for later use.

 

In a medium mixing bowl, stir together grated ginger with sauce ingredients; set aside.

 

In a wok or large skillet warm reserved ginger oil. Sauté pork in batches until slightly cooked through. Transfer onto a plate. Repeat with pork, adding additional canola oil as needed. 


Into skillet sauté onion until slightly limp. Return pork and reserved sauce to skillet. Cook to warm pork through about 1 minute. Turn off heat, add whites of green onion, stirring to combine. Serve immediately. 


Garnish with crispy ginger and green onion. Serves 2-3.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shogayaki is one of my favorite foods. If it's on a menu, I usually order it.
Even in Japan, like in Yoshinoya or Matsuya! I gotta try this recipe.
v

Anonymous said...

This looks so good!

Izsmom

Chet Colson said...

For me, I would crack a soft boiled egg on top. Thought it was sukiyaki initially. Looks yum.

K and S said...

yum

jalna said...

V, I love ginger. Maybe I gotta try too.

Izsmom, it does yah!

Chet, ho!

Kat, yes!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Maybe I could try but I don't have agave nectar.

jalna said...

Aunty, Dd likes to use agave nectar.