Friday, August 27, 2021

Beef Barley Soup

Beef Barley soup used to be my favorite Campbell's soup back in the day.  I decided to try and make it.

It was easier to make than I expected and it came out super ono!  I wanted a soupier broth than the stew in the Food Wishes video that I followed so I added an extra cup of chicken broth (5 cups instead of 4).  Also, I didn't have dried rosemary and I didn't need to add more "salt to taste".  

I bought the beef shank and barley from Whole Foods. 

IMG_8899

Ingredients for four servings:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 pounds beef shank (2 thick slices), seasoned generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups chicken broth, plus more if needed
2/3 cup diced celery
2/3 cup diced carrots 
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 cup pearl or naked barley
salt to taste


- Cook beef shank until tender, then remove, and cook the barley in the stewing liquid until tender. Heat beef in cooked barley.


Here is the video: 


And here's my handwritten recipe.  I'll be making it again soon.  It was a really big hit and got demolished in no time.  You should try.
IMG_8894

6 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Okay. I gotta try.

jenny said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I've been eating a bunch of vegetarian barley soup but I much rather have your soup...need something to gives me more iron and keep me full! I will definitely try it soon!!

Anonymous said...

Me too! That was my favorite soup. Looks ono. I love barley. I don’t see it around anymore, but one of my favorite dish at Chinese restaurants was the duck stuffed with barley. Yum!

Izsmom

K and S said...

looks ono!

jalna said...

Aunty, yay!

Jenny, you'll like it.

Izsmom, I forgot about that dish. I used to like it too.

Kat, I made it twice in 2 days!

Susan said...

Wow! Looks great! It’s been soupy weather here too!