Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Portable Gas Stove Danger

Leslie sent me this e-mail about an incident where a butane canister on a portable gas stove exploded. I was shocked . . . we use the portable gas stove all the time, like when we had the black-out. The article can be found at tune-in-tokyo.

There are pictures of the burn victim so it starts off with this warning: "WARNING! Before you scroll down I want to let you know that the pictures below are pretty intense. "

I'm never gonna use that stove again, and I hope Wendell doesn't either.

4 comments:

Betty Townsend said...

We use to have one, got rid of it a long time ago. They are dangerous.

Dd said...

Aiyee..........EVERY Chef I know uses these, I myself use them at least 2xs a month if not more during chef events !! And you know what, for Chefs, there is no replacement for the heat that comes off of these units. Electric just does not do it!
OMG !!

jalna said...

I know Didi, Wendell insists it probably was a freak accident, but for me, it's just not worth the risk. Scaaaaaary.

billyDe said...

I saw that you reposted the gas stove incident. Thank you. I hope this opens peoples' eyes to not only the danger of this particular product, but anything that involves gas & cooking. I've used a stove many times since this happened... like when I go out to eat with a bunch of friends. But I will never put one in my house again. It was a freak accident... but I agree w/ Jalna that it's just not worth the risk.

Billy
Tune In Tokyo