Thursday, August 31, 2017

Flowers are Hard


I like this guy's YouTube tutorials:  Jay Lee Watercolor Painting (blog) or Jay Lee Watercolor Painting (Google+).

He makes it look easy. I mean, he has a baby strapped to himself while he's painting (soooo cute BTW)! 

I've been trying to copy this.



I'm still practicing. 

Water control . . . that's the key. But how in the world is he able to make the stem so fine and straight??!! You need to be really calm and at peace, yah? 

I breathe deeply and close my eyes. I hold my brush out in front of me and I draw a stroke in the air. I do this over and over.  

Zzzzzzz . . . 

IMG_7315

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the colors you used. The Sakura came out good!

Izsmom

jalna said...

Awwww . . . thanks, Izsmom.

K and S said...

so pretty!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Love the videos!

Those straight thin lines - he uses a special Japanese brush. And he makes a tip at the bottom of each flower. Probably has an imaginary end point so he "joins" the tip to the end point so instead of looking at what the brush is doing, he is looking at where to end.

He has been doing this for a long time. I would cheat and just use one ruler and thin colored sharpies for stems, lol.

Anonymous said...

j: I love the flowers on the lower left of the page they're really pretty. Your regular flowers looks a whole lot bettah than if I did it. Thanks for the link btw-N

Mark Shelby said...

Jalna! Now, next to your Restaurant, you not only need a Craft Room but now a Hand Painting Classroom too! They can eat for hours while they learn! Captive audience! ; )

You will retire Rich! ; )

jalna said...

Looks so pretty when he does it yah, Kat.

I gonna cheat too, Aunty.

N, go bust out your stuff. I think we gotta just keep practicing.

I wish, Mark!

Dd said...

gee whiz....I notice that brush has Japanese writing on it ??

jalna said...

Dd, you saw that? I was trying to figure out what he uses because in his description he says that he uses cheap dollar store brushes, but I find that hard to believe.

Leslie's pics said...

your flowers are cute!!

Erick said...

Cool videos. Have you posted some of your paintings?

jalna said...

I have, Erick, but so far I've done only color book kine stuff . . . nothing really artsy.

jalna said...

Thanks Les.

Susan said...

I love this! I would get nothing done watching his vids. I'm loving your water color adventures! I want to try soon...can't now...too much going on.

Kay said...

This is so pretty!