Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ohta Wafer Factory

I took a walk on my lunch hour today to Hauoli Street to check out the Ohta Wafer Factory. I had a nice chat with Cathy Ohta and found out that the factory's been around for 68 years. When I was very little I spent a lot of time at my grandparent's plumbing shop on Liliha Street. Right next door to the shop was a senbei store called Uruu Senbei. I used to love to watch the owner make his senbei one by one. I remember being so surprised at how the fortune cookies were shaped while they were still hot. Being in Cathy's store today brought back this cherished and long-forgotten memory.
I asked Cathy if this machine still worked and she said yes, and explained that it was the package- sealing machine.
These are the senbei that I bought and took back to work with me.
This chocolate fortune cookie was the biggest hit.

9 comments:

SW said...

I've been across the street and seen the store name but never went inside. Wow..I didn't know they had so many varieties of senbei..Yum! I really like senbei..wonder if they sell them elsewhere? Cool photos!!

jalna said...

Shun-Wah, the senbei was really good. Cathy said that they don't distribute it anywhere else, so you can only buy it at their store.

Erick said...

This is a super cool posting, I love the topic and the photos. Great job, great post!

Dd said...

Ummm, where exactly is this ??

jalna said...

Didi, you'd be surprised. You've probably passed it a million times. It's across from Minato Japanese Restaurant and Wholesale Unlimited on Hauoli Street. Sanoya Ramen is on the corner of King and Hauoli.

bebedeer said...

I love the chocolate fortune cookies! Do they really taste "chocolatey"? I'm thinking of getting them for Tori's birthday party favors. ~ Fawn

Betty Townsend said...

Yum!!!!!

jalna said...

Fawn, it has just a tiny hint of chocolatey flavor, and some of my more palate sensitive coworkers have said that they taste a tiny bit of ginger in it too.

jalna said...

Oh yeah Fawn, I think they had strawberry fortune cookies too.