Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pawa'a Neighborhood Park

This neighborhood park is just across the street from my working place, and until Shun-Wah asked me about the sculptures there, I never thought to take pictures of them. I was kinda nervous 'cause I wasn't sure if the homeless people that live there might not like me invading into their space. Old people like me might describe this area as "where the old police station used to be" or even older people might say "where the old Sears used to be" or even older still "where the very first escalator of the islands used to be".

Korean Centennial Memorial

This plaque below describes the memorial: The tall stone represents Korea. The smaller stone, in the shape of Diamond Head symbolizes the United States or more specifically Hawaii. The greenish bronze piece adjacent to the tall granite conveys the image of the crooked backs of the laborers as well as the tools the workers used on the plantation.
The other bronze piece represents the prow of an immigrant ship and the high hopes for the future. The smaller angular stones within the circle depict the various islands in Hawaii. The embedded white pepples represent the more than 7,000 early immigrants.
The bronze circular rails provide a sense of harmony and convey the ties of friendship between Korea and the United States.


This sculpture was put up just a few months ago.

7 comments:

SW said...

ooooh sooo cool.. I was wondering when you'd post some pics of the sculptures. Yeah, I haven't gone to see it myself either because of the number of 'houseless' people there. The sculptures look really nice and it's good they have description of what it means and represents. So now I know! Mucho Thanks!

Erick said...

Very nice park shoots! I never knew all that stuff was there. Great shooting.

jalna said...

Hi OkiHwn!! Your comment actually is posted under my "Newseum" post and I don't know how to move it. Yes, that is a homeless person and all his/her (I can't tell which) belongings.

I've been enjoying your blog for sometime now. I love to check out your meals. Thanks for dropping by!

Betty Townsend said...

Great photos. These sculptures are all very interesting!

RosaMarĂ­a said...

Very nice pictures! The scultures are beatyfull!excusme my english. Congratulaciones for yor blog.

jalna said...

Rosa Maria: Thank you so much for your kind words. I know you commented on my blog before and not understanding the language, I inadvertently rejected it too soon. I'm so sorry for that. Thanks for still dropping by and taking the time to comment again.

OkiHwn said...

How'd it get there? I posted it to this blog. Oh well.