Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Layered Tonkatsu

This is my try at making tonkatsu like Nana Ai Katsu.  

Thanks to pal Linda for the idea and tip from my sister Didi about freezing, it came out good!

IMG_8010 

I bought shabu shabu pork and shabu shabu belly from Palama Market.  And BTW, did you know that the front part of the meat display case at the Makaloa branch lifts up so that you can get the meats yourself?  I didn't know that!  I'd been asking for help all this time.
IMG_7985 

I layered the meat 1 pork/3 belly/1 pork/3 belly/1 pork and made 5 cutlets.
 IMG_7987 

I then breaded like I did for my chicken katsu and put them in the freezer.  See the chicken katsu instructions here.
  IMG_8002 

The next day I fried them straight outa the freezer.
 IMG_8013

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

and seeing Kat's post about the chicken katsu yesterday and now this.....
Gotta go look for katsu today! (Hate to fry, so BUY!)
V

Honolulu Aunty said...

Yum! Plenty work though.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh!!! Looks crunchy and delicious!


Izsmom

Anonymous said...

J, I love tonkatsu, one of my fave foods. J Shop makes an incredible Blackline?? katsu donburi and OMG, heaven!! Soft, tender and fatty. But it's not a regular item. Hit or miss.All their donburis are made to order except for the Blackline?? How did frying your tonkatsu go?? How long and lots of splattering? How did it taste and was it good. -N

K and S said...

looks ono

Chet Colson said...

Whoa.... that looks yummy.

jalna said...

V, me too, I actually hate to fry but wanted to try make.

Aunty, I like that I can make ahead of time and save for later.

Izsmom, was nice and crunchy!

N, it was tender and juicy because of the belly. Not really sure how long took to cook. I had the heat on not too high 'cause I wanted to make sure it was cooked throughout. The splattering was not as bad as I expected. The taste was good, but I could've seasoned it more. Good thing we ate it with a sauce.

Kat, I was happy it worked out.

Chet, it was!!