Tuesday, April 9, 2024

My Best Miso Butterfish

I've blogged about making miso butterfish before, but I just wanted to tell you that I made my best one yet the other day.  What made the difference was the brand of miso that I used.

You can find the original recipe here, but I've also included it below. 

IMG_6785 

This is the one that I used and what I'll be using from now on.  The local one! IMG_6787


Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup mirin and 1/4 cup sake and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and add 1 tablespoon shoyu and 1 cup miso.

Marinate the fish for 2 to 3 days.

Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes.

11 comments:

Annie said...

Drooling! Where did you get the butterfish?

Anonymous said...

awwww man, they used to make already marinated butter fish that was the best! It was super expensive but worth it. I don't know why they stopped. Was good omiyage, too I used to do this with butter fish and salmon and make a paste to spread on fried ahi, etc.
v

Honolulu Aunty said...

Hurray - da local one! I usually buy my miso butterfish from Okuhara Foods on North King Street (also at Marukai in prepacks. Expensive but super ono. Looks like yours. We used to only grill outside but baking it is much better and so much easier. I will be sending your recipe to my daughter in Seattle. Her husband is a fisherman - goes out from Alaska to catch butterfish (black cod).

Anonymous said...

My mom used that brand all the time, good to know the local brand is winnah!



Izsmom

jenny said...

that's the one I'm waiting for sam's to come back in stock with! i'm going to definitely follow your recipe! i have some frozen butterfish waiting...!

K and S said...

yum!this miso is similar to the white miso they use in japan to make saikyoyaki (grilled miso fish)

jalna said...

Annie, I used my favorite from Times. Black cod. Was $$$$$ but worth it. No bones and meaty. $14.99/pound.

V, Landon bought that pre-marinated butterfish from them before. Was really good. Didn't know they stopped making it.

Aunty, ho so lucky to have fisherman son-in-law.

Izsmom, that's the only one we used back in the day, yah!

Jenny, I didn't know Sam's carries it!

Kat, aaaah!!!

Kay said...

OK, now you've made me want some.

jalna said...

Kay, 😁

Susan said...

I don’t have that miso here but will try a different one. I had this dish at Roy’s. Small portion but hefty price!

jalna said...

Susan, hope you get to try.