Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Pickled Korean Peppers


Landon is into chili peppers, so I was intrigued by these Korean Peppers at Palama Market a few weeks back and bought a bag for him.

They turned out to be only very mildly spicy and not too thrilling for Lan. I went online to see what I could do with them and decided that pickling them might be interesting.

IMG_4213 

I found a recipe at My Korean Kitchen site and made this. 
IMG_4344 

Lan remained unthrilled.  The taste was good to me, but since I'm not really into peppers I probably wouldn't make it again. 
IMG_4349

 

  • 1 pound Korean green peppers
  • 1 cup shoyu 
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup sugar

Instructions

  • Rinse the pepper in cold running water. Chop into small 1-inch pieces.
  • Combine the soy sauce, water, vinegar and sugar in a saucepan and boil until the sugar dissolves (about 5 mins) on medium high heat. Whisk occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and cool it down (about 10 mins).
  • Tightly stack the peppers (without crushing them) in a glass jar suitable for pickling then pour the brine over them. Seal the lid and leave it at room temperature for 24 hrs. Transfer the jar to the fridge. For small sized peppers, you can start eating them 72 hrs after making them. For larger sized peppers, you can start eating them one week after making them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious.


Izsmom

Anonymous said...

you're supposed to eat them raw dipped into ssamjang, which come in the green tubs at korean markets next to the kochojung paste, They're very crunchy some are super spicy and some are very mild and go well grilled porkbelly, etc.
I always buy them
v

Anonymous said...

oh, actually, that recipe you have works really well with jalapeno, daikon, and or cucumbers
v

Annie said...

Mb would be good in stir fry?

Honolulu Aunty said...

Would probably be great in stir fry. Might be fun to grow in the garden and easier than bell peppers (which always gets rotten when I plant them.)

K and S said...

too bad wasn’t too spicy for him, looks ono

jalna said...

Izsmom, I was so hopeful. LOL.

V, oooooh! I have that green tub of ssamjang. It was a really easy recipe.

Annie, dunno why I never thought of that. I think it's because I'm really not a cook.

Aunty, I'm about to give up being a gardener. It's so hard.

Kat, yah.