Thursday, August 9, 2018

The Bad Thing and The Good Thing


We had a gathering of cousins this past weekend and conversation kinda seemed to focus on us getting old. I mentioned about how clumsy I'm getting and told a story about what happened to me on my recent Japan trip.

We were in a restaurant that served buffet Japanese food. There was a darkly lit corridor in the restaurant where there was a step-up that I totally didn't see, and I tripped.
DSCF2876

The Bad Thing was that when I tripped I was carrying a tray full of separate dishes of food. It seemed like it was a good two minutes that I stomped around on the wooden floor, swaying this way and that, trying to keep the food and myself from falling to the ground.
DSCF2877

The Good Thing was that I DIDN'T FALL DOWN! It was a miracle! I don't even know how that happened, but me AND THE FOOD didn't fall down. 

My food ended up spread out all over my tray, but main thing . . .  I DIDN'T FALL DOWN! 
DSCF2880

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a great storyteller and your drawings are so cute! Good thing you didn’t fall and hurt yourself.

Izsmom

jalna said...

Izsmom, thanks! I was more worried about da shame than about getting hurt.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Jalna! You should come with us to Osaka and Mie in September! Remember the broken foot? when I went last Oct, another woman tripped over a short step and landed on her arthritic knees OUCH! The 3rd one ALMOST took a fall backwards from the top of some stone steps but fortunately caught herself. Whew!!! I was in panic mode because it must be me causing all these mishaps. Even when I went to Boston with my boss, she twisted her knee so badly getting on the ferry across the harbor that she couldn't walk or even drive. I told my boss she should come too, so if you guys come, we could have a crip reunion!
But, really, what a save for you! The shame is worse than the fall, yah? Were you yelling, "whoa whoa whoa" while you were trying to catch your balance?
v

Leslie's pics said...

Whoa that's pretty impressive! I'd probably face plant and my food woulda went flying on someone's head!!

Anonymous said...

Good quick reflexes!!!! -lance

Honolulu Aunty said...

Hurray! I think you need to make a storybook. Jalna's Extraordinary Ordinary Days.

Chet Colson said...

Glad you didn't get hurt. I agree, my balance has changed with age. Surfing is harder balancing on the board. I do balance exercise to negate it.

Susan said...

Glad you didn’t fall down!! I absolutely love these drawings that went with your story!

Anonymous said...

j: oh dear I am the same way.....I trip and fall it seems every other month. the tip of my shoe catches on the ground for some weird reason and I fall. I don't know how or why but it caught on the stairs yesterday but luckily I caught myself on the upper stair and all was okay. It has something to do with balance as we age. I just hope I don't end up like Kay did.I'm glad your food or you did not end up on the ground that is really embarrassing!-N

Anonymous said...

I truly believe that there was someone watching over you.

Kalin's Mommy said...

OMG, you never tell us that? I can just see it in slow motion!

K and S said...

I’m glad you didn’t fall even though your food spilled out onto your tray.

jalna said...

V, holy cow all the people you know that got hurt! I think I musta yelled because somebody said that they heard me. They either heard my voice or my stomping around on the floor.

LOL, Les.

Lance, funny!

Aunty, I think so too.

Chet, it's awesome that you're so active.

Thanks Susan.

N, me too. Mostly it's the change in floor heights that get me.

Anon, I did give a prayer of thanks the second I regained my balance.

No Mich, I never did get the chance to tell you guys.

Kat, the food spillage was so minor to me!