Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Oama Fishing


Wendell caught these two papio this past weekend. He and his friend caught around 10 oama  and then used them for bait to catch the papio.

Oama fishing involves standing in a circle around the school of fish with shrimp, aku belly, etc. for bait while using some mysterious use-the-force technique to sense the nibble.
IMG_0750

I've only gone oama fishing twice in my life because being as weak-forced as I am, I usually only succeed in getting majorly annoyed at hooking nothing while everyone else around me brings up fish after fish.
DSCF2988

12 comments:

Leslie's pics said...

hahaha so cute your drawing. I would be the same way too...

Anonymous said...

I’m like that too! Everyone around me would be pulling up a catch, except me. Like Easter Egg Hunts, everybody is finding the eggs, except me. LOL

Izsmom

Honolulu Aunty said...

I love the small papio - for frying in the pan with garlic salt and eat with lemon and shoyu, crispy skin and moist meat, yum!

I was like you when I fish. Everybody else catching but not me. So, I figured, why go fishing?

Kalin's Mommy said...

Love the drawing!

K and S said...

love these stories:)

Chet Colson said...

Ya,irritating when others catching and I'm not too. Oama ono,when pan fried dipped in shoyu and chili peppa sauce.

Mark Shelby said...

I told you, you could eat for FREE my Awesome Auntie! .... ; )

Carry ON! ; )
.

jalna said...

LOL, thanks Les.

Izsmom, OMG, easter egg hunt! I remember my very first one . . . was traumatic. Maybe I'll draw the story about it.

Aunty, you make it sound so ono!

Mich, thanks!

Chet, you and Aunty make me want to eat fried fish.

Thanks Mark!

Susan said...

I cook that type of fish for my dad because not too many bones. And yup fried with finadene is the best !

celia said...

Your painting says a lot! Very good!!!

Erick said...

Nice painting. I heard you suppose put the bait in the water, count to 3 and give the pole a slight jerk. I don't really know because I no can catch too.

jalna said...

Susan, finadene!!

Thank you, Celia.

Erick, I kinda remember that 3-second thing.