Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Freeing the Mango Tree


It's not our mango tree. It's the neighbor's. But awhile back I did ask for and was given permission to pick whatever mangoes grew on our side of the tree. 

A few weeks ago I noticed that the tree was starting to flower. I also noticed that the neighbor's lilikoi plant was overtaking the tree again. Last year Wendell had hired some workers to trim our side of the tree and to also rid it of the lilikoi vines. 

Seeing the vines once again blanketing our side of the tree and potentially smothering future mangoes distressed me.

lilikoi

This past Sunday, I watched from inside of the house as Wendell started cutting the vines with a long-handled trimming thing. He musta read my mind! I ran outside and started to help him. I yanked and yanked at the now-loosened vines that dangled down. I tugged and pulled at whatever was within my reach. Great was my enthusiasm.

He had to stop me. I was messing up his game plan. 
IMG_3933

Still wanting to contribute to the liberation of the mango tree, I started filling our green bin with the pulled-down vines. I stuffed. I shoved. I raked. Never had I been so gung ho about yard work before.
IMG_3935

In the end I told Wendell that me and the tree thanked him. It was a great Valentine's Day gift.
IMG_3936

14 comments:

Kalin's Mommy said...

Yay!

Honolulu Aunty said...

Happy happy mango tree! Of course, that means that you like mangoes better than lilikoi, same as me.

I just trimmed (kinda major) our mango tree, and then I noticed that the neighbors' trees are all beginning to flower. Oh oh. Here's hoping that ours will be a slightly late bloomer that didn't mind the hair cut.

Mark Shelby said...

Well at least now you can do the Mango Tango Jalna! Awesome! ; )

K and S said...

ooh hope you guys get lots of mangoes this year:)

Dd said...

wow.....I can even believe how fast that grows/grew !! oooooo mangoes mangoes mangoes ... soon... ;-}

jalna said...

Mich, I was thinking of you the whole time!

Aunty, true dat . . . I like the mangoes better than the lilikoi. Good luck with your tree!

Yes, Mark!

Me too, Kat.

Yup, that lilikoi plant is unreal, Dd.

Leslie's pics said...

how romantic! :)

jalna said...

LOL, soooo romantic, Les!!

Nippon Nin said...

I hope you had a nice Valentine's Day. Wow! Super nice blue sky!(here, we had rainy day today).

Susan said...

Funny, I was telling my husband about this vine they call the love chain here, well it's also climbing our mango tree and I told him it's gonna choke the fruits. He said he'd take them down but I might just have to get gung ho and do it myself bec I don't think he did. Good for you!

jalna said...

Thank you, Akemi!

So unreal how those vines just overtake everything yah, Susan. Good luck on your mission.

Kay said...

And LOOK at all those mango flowers! Are those Haydens? You are so so so lucky to have an overhanging mango tree! I'm so jealous! I bet Wendell wouldn't mind the lilikoi too though.

jalna said...

Yes Kay, they're Hayden!

Kay said...

Oh my gosh.... Hayden! You are so so so LUCKY! I am so jealous! No wonder you wanted to get the lilikoi off. No contest. Hayden first!