Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Baked Chocolate Mochi


I got this recipe from somebody a loooooong time ago.  I think I made it only once before and I wondered if I still had the recipe. I did a happy dance when I found it deep in my recipe box. 

IMG_7721

This is what my copy looks like . . . front and back views.  Looks like a hurriedly jotted down the recipe as someone recited it to me.
recipe

Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1 block margarine over really low heat.   Cool.
IMG_7624

Mix together 2 cups mochiko, 2 cups sugar and 1 tbs. baking soda.  Check out our "antique road show" strainer.  Neat yah!  I hope Wendell doesn't ever dump it.
IMG_7627

In a separate bowl combine the chocolate/butter mixture, 2 cans of evaporated milk,  2 tsp. vanilla and
IMG_7628

two beaten eggs.
IMG_7633

Add dry ingredients.  I know . . . that picture came out so cool.  Hahahaha!!
IMG_7641

Pour into 9 x 13 inch pan.  I usually line the pan with foil 'cause it makes it easier to clean up.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes.
IMG_7644

I baked it for 55 minutes and it came out a little cakier than I had wanted.  50 minutes might be perfect in our oven.
IMG_7665

20 comments:

K and S said...

love chocolate mochi :)

jalna said...

Me too Kat!

Anonymous said...

Looks really tasty and fattening...:)

I hearby name this the "Oh so Fat and Jiggly happy dance Chocolate Mochi" !!!

renee said...

Can't wait to try the two mochi recipes! YUM!!

jalna said...

Hahaha, I like that name, Anon.

They're both so easy to make Renee. You should have no problem.

Betty Townsend said...

I need to try this one!! Looks so yum! :)

jalna said...

Betty, I think best to make it for some potluck 'cause like Anon said it's a "Oh so Fat and Jiggly Chocolate Mochi"! Hahahaha.

mmiissee said...

nom nom nom....I wanna try to make this version....thank you!

jalna said...

You're welcome Mmiissee!

Anonymous said...

Yep, there's a crust too. LOL!!! Looks so ono!!!! Much Mahalos...

mmiissee said...

What kind of Chocolate chips did you buy? semi-sweet?

jalna said...

Good luck making it, Anon!

Mmiissee, I used Nestles semi-sweet.

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify things :)

Its not the mochi that will become jiggly :)

Perhaps happy dancing with counteract the fat jiggly parts ????

jalna said...

Ahahaha Anon. I need to do a lot of happy dancing!!

Leslie's pics said...

uuuuu...chocolate mochi! sorry, I missed this post :)

jalna said...

Lol, that's ok, Les.

SW said...

Great recipes!! How'd you manage to take the shot of the flowing flour while holding your camera with the other hand? THAT WAS VERY COOL!!

jalna said...

Thanks Shun Wah! It's a little hard doing those action shots, but I'm lucky that I'm a left-eye shooter, so I can rest the camera on my shoulder to keep it steady.

Anonymous said...

Mine came out cake-like as well, I only baked 45 minutes,could it be the 2 eggs perhaps. Spongy and tastes good though, texture just wasn't what I expected. Should it be stored under refrigeration ? -Gina

jalna said...

Hey Gina. Not sure about refrigerating, but it's pretty moist so I wouldn't leave it out for too long.