Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fay's Takuan


Girlfriend Fay gave me some takuan when I went to shoot her granddaughter Ailey's pictures.  I really liked it so I asked her for the recipe.  Looks pretty easy to make.  Not sure what "Korean" daikon is though.

IMG_9004

7-8 lbs Korean daikon


Boil:
9 T. salt
4 c. sugar
1-1/2 c. Japanese vinegar
1-1/2 t. yellow food coloring


Chili pepper flakes (optional)


Cut daikon into desired pieces. After mixture comes to a boil, pour over daikon pieces. Cool then refrigerate.

7 comments:

Mariko said...

Yummmm. yeah-- What the heck is Korean daikon?
Did you save some for me?

Dd said...

I buy it a lot at The Supermarket on Keeaumoku (love that store) I really think it is the same, except, it is more round and really really biiiiigggg. Love that little chili pepper in there

jalna said...

Awwww, no Mariko, neva save for you. Maybe from the batch I make later.

Didi, do you think that ANY daikon that you buy from a Korean market is "Korean" daikon?

Betty Townsend said...

I didn't know there was different kinds...interesting. Looks good and simple to make. My friend who owns the Japanese restaurant where I eat every Wednesday told me how to make agedashi. I love that stuff. I'll try make it one of these days.

jalna said...

Ohhhh Betty, I had to google "agedashi". Looks like you use it to flavor tofu? Interesting!

Erick said...

My mom used to make this. So ono!

jalna said...

I'll save some for you when I make Erick.