Thursday, February 4, 2010

Kim Chee!!!


The most incredible thing to me (besides the fact that I made it) is that yesterday this was a head of won bok cabbage, and today by lunchtime it was kim chee! So fast!

I bought this head of won bok at Palama Market. It was only 50 cents a pound! First, slice the head in two. Then I took almost 1/2 cup of Hawaiian salt and rubbed it between the leaves.
I said "almost" 1/2 cup cause this is what happened when I was almost done with the rubbing.
Put in press. This was about 6:30 p.m. yesterday.
After 4 hours it already looked like this, and according to reader Josefina's Korean friend, you can remove it after it's wilted (usually 4 to 6 hours). Not knowing any better, I left it overnight. The next morning I rinsed it out twice and took it to work with me to finish.
I also brought with me this Parks Brand Kim Chee Sauce (from Palama Market), some chives and garlic gloves.
I used about one fourth of the Kim Chee sauce and mixed it with some water.
We added a little bit of honey!! Yup, honey.
And chopped up one clove of garlic.
We added the chives, garlic and sauce to the won bok.
By lunch time it was ready to eat!! It was a hit!

17 comments:

Betty Townsend said...

Yay, Jalna!!! I am so impressed!! You did good!!

jalna said...

Thanks Betty.

SW said...

wow..you are making great use of your press. The kim chee looks great! So what lens did you use to take your macros shots of the kim chee?

jalna said...

Shun Wah, it's very typical of me to go wild when I get into something, then when I lose interest, I totally lose interest. I used my 100mm macro for the close up shots. Do you know that I carry my camera with me everywhere? When I'm at work I will usually have my 35mm and my 100mm macro as well as my flash.

K and S said...

impressive! way to go!

jalna said...

Thanks Kat. Me and CQ looked at a recipe for making the sauce from scratch. I would've needed to find opposum shrimp and anchovy paste. We decided right away that getting the already-made kim chee sauce was the best route for me.

K and S said...

sometimes pre-made is more reasonable!

jalna said...

Plus it's easier!

K and S said...

that too!

:) josefina :) said...

http://hcwoactiongroups.blogspot.com/2007/03/korean-cooking-3-3907-kotchori-kimchi.html
see this recipe, my Korean friend made this one. lots of ingredients to buy if you don't already have on hand.

Parks kim chee sauce is so good! Try make some japanese cucumber kimchee with it - so ono! And it makes a good fried chicken wing too!

Leslie's pics said...

That's the fastest kim chee I've ever seen made! Hahahahahaa! Looks yummy!

jalna said...

Thanks josefina!! Going check it out later. Gotta go work now.

Les, when Julie said we could eat it at lunchtime, I was like "Hah? Doesn't it have to soak for days?"

Erick said...

Yum, that looks so ONO! You Da Kim Chee King!

alohadays said...

aloha Jalna, just a note that you dont need a pickling jar to do kim chee or kai choy.

:)

jalna said...

Erick, was good, but I got stomach ache today.

Hi alohadays! Thanks for the tip! So, we don't need to squeeze the liquid out of the cabbage before seasoning?

susie said...

WOW OMG!!! Now you need to add some tako. Also where's the hot sticky rice???

jalna said...

Oooohhh Susie, tako and rice sound good!