Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Latest Greeting Card and the Aha! Moment


This is the card that I made using the failed background wash. The flowers are not painted. They're stamped.

IMG_7266

My attempt at actually painting the flowers is on the bottom. Stamping was easier and looked better.
IMG_7264

Here is my second try at making a "blended" background. Even though I wet the paper first, you can still see the separate sections. According to the tutorial, you shouldn't see any demarcations when done correctly. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.
IMG_7268

I decided to try something else. Do you remember the whale video? Remember how the colors spread out and then kinda blended together? Try look. My colors didn't blend at all.  

IMG_7267

I googled "watercolor not blending" or something like that and found this. It says that there is transparent watercolor paint and there is OPAQUE watercolor paint. Opaque paints don't mingle well. AHA!! No wonda!! My paint from Ross must be OPAQUE!

And so I dug this out. I actually bought it from Fisher the day that I got the paint brushes. It was on sale for half price . . . $13. I was saving it for . . . you know . . . when I get good. But looks like I'm gonna have to bust it open even though I'm still junk. 
IMG_7236

14 comments:

alibaba37 said...

Jalna, nothing about those are junk! Even the ones that didn't blend, look great when all assembled. I also think your attempt at the flowers is a really good one. Don't be so hard on yourself, you're doing really well. (From my non watercolor eyes).

K and S said...

nice! when we did watercolor in art, for a sky, you put the color on the top part of the paper then using the brush with water bring the brush left to right to make a gradiation of the blue(darker up top and lighter towards the bottom)...I enjoy seeing your progress!

Honolulu Aunty said...

You are doing just great! Your stuff always has that happy feeling in it.

Lorna said...

Jalna, even the painted flowers look beautiful. You are very talented, and adventurous, willing to try things that would challenge me and stop me in my tracks. Envious of you (in a good way, of course)!

Susan said...

I think they came out great!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice the cards. You are so talented!

Izsmom

Dd said...

oooo.... I like another card day with the sisters !!

jalna said...

Awwww thank you, Alibaba.

I'll keep trying, Kat. It's very therapeutic.

Thanks Aunty!

Lorna, I totally admire YOU and your generous heart, love of sentient creatures and very enviable profession.

I hope you get to try some painting too, Susan.

Thank you, Izsmom!

I know, Dd. I think I have enough supplies, but gotta prep.

Anonymous said...

Your painting is beautiful!! ~matsu

jalna said...

Awwww, thanks, Matsu!

Kay said...

I think it looks beautiful as is too! You are so artistic.

jalna said...

Thanks Kay!

Leslie's pics said...

I think i like your painted flowers better!! :)

jalna said...

You so kind, Les.