Monday, January 3, 2011

Geri's Ozoni


This first photo is NOT Geri's ozoni. It's MY ozoni that I made last year. I was so proud. On the morning of New Year's Day I threw a dried squid, dashi, canned abalone liquid and mizuna into a pot of water and boiled to make the broth. I thought it was ono.


IMG_4665



THIS is Geri's ozoni that she made this year. She had never made it before so she wanted to try. It was so, so, so, so, so, so ono!! People asked for seconds . . . and thirds . . . me included. But hey, can she take nice pictures? Hah? Hah?

IMG_9304a


And this is why it was soooo good:


Day 1: Boil beef and pork soup bones with 1 onion, 1 carrot and 3 stalks of celery

Day 2: Take out bones and vegetables; scoop out particles with strainer
Add: 1 big sheet konbu, 1 big dried squid, 1 cup bonito flakes; boil
End of day, take out all the stuff; strain again
Add: dashi to taste, salt to taste and canned clams

New Year's Day: Heat up, add mizuna. Add to bowl clam, fried mochi, shiitake mushroom, flavored nori, green onions.

6 comments:

Betty Townsend said...

Sounds good...bummers though...because of clams I couldn't eat it. I hate not being able to eat seafood because of my gout!!!

Les said...

uuuuuuuuuuuuu that sounds yummy! Minus the clams...

:) josefina :) said...

Hey Jalna, both look ono! :)

Years ago we lived next to this Japanese lady who would make me take a pot of ozoni every NYE. The first time I took it, I didn't like it all. But, as my taste buds grew, I learned to love it! Now I look forward to having some every year (but have not made my own yet). She would put those big hokigai clams and yamaimo and fishcake and daikon...mmmmmm yum

Happy New Year!

jalna said...

Clams too Betty! Ho da junk.

Les, you allergic to clams too?

Wow Jos, nice neighbor! Happy New Year to you too!

Erick said...

Looks so ono, the dried squid sounds good too.

jalna said...

Erick, I lucked out with some leftovers . . . been eating for lunch everyday! Hooo hooo!!